30 | lit

L U E L L A

"Luella," He takes a short breath. "I could never hurt you like that. Because why would I? Why would I do that? Fuck, we- We were having such a good time and then she comes from nowhere and tells you some shit that I have no clue about."

I cut the gas out and reach to get a bowl from the top shelf, place it on the counter, accidentally glimpsing a stressed-looking Harry with a tired hand gripping his hair back. He looks hurt, but he can look like lots of things.

"Luella, I know that sh-"

"Ow!" I yelp, my hand burning from touching the steaming aluminium of the pot. I hold it with my other hand and squeeze it hard, frowning in pain.

Superman comes to the rescue, of course. He takes my hand urgently but, before anything, I snatch my hand away and push past him to the sink, rinsing it in cold water. I bite down on my cheeks in pain.

When I turn around, I'm greeted by Harry's neck in my face, practically. The two swallows on his collarbone under his dress shirt that he had unbuttoned are smirking at me mischievously, urging me to believe what he's saying.

"For how long will you continue to avoid me? Just say something, will you?"

I lick my lips before I circle around him and move to now carefully pour down the popcorn into the plastic bowl, a few escaping my aim, but I discard them as I rest the pot aside and hold the bowl to get this episode over with.

But Harry steps in my way and holds the bowl from in front of me so our fingers brush. I frown and take my hands away, the popcorn almost scattering on the ground but Harry catches it before it does. Or I think he did, because I'm already in the living room, standing in front of the couch.

"Kate, can I talk to you?"

She raises her eyebrows but nods quickly and stands up. "Sure, yeah." She follows me to the bedroom and closes the door behind us. "Hey, is everything alright?"

"When are they leaving?" I ask hurriedly, the words coming out as if slurred and latched onto each other. "I mean, they're not staying over again, are they?"

It came out as some sort of sarcasm to not sound too serious, but Kate's expression tells me otherwise.

"They're staying, aren't they?" I nod, looking around the room anxiously. "What is this smell? Have you sprayed that weird Thrilling Roses smell?"

Kate cringes. "It's not weird...I think."

I sigh, my shoulders slumping down slightly. "Can't Ben just stay? You want Ben here, don't you? Then, Harry has to go, yeah?"

"Hasn't he -Harry, I mean- talked to you yet?"

I stare at her.

"I thought he would've cleared things out by the time this topic comes around..."

"No." I keep shaking my head like a deranged being. "No, I don't believe him."

Kate stays silent for a moment before she starts her lecture. "Alright, you don't have to. But, as your friend, I have to try and make you see the truth."