45 | babe

L U E L L A

The rest of the night passed by in a blur of bubbles of happiness and overjoy. And although I haven't ever been drunk in my life, I felt drunk with this indescribable feeling swarming me, swarming my heart and engulfing it completely.

Harry drove us straight to Josie's, who scolded me caringly and demanded that I never sneak out of the house that late again. She hugged me tightly like I was her own daughter and I think my eyes stung a little then.

And, finally, when it hit me that I haven't bought any presents for Christmas tomorrow, my stomach flipped with the pressure. I was still in my dress and barefoot when I told Harry I just had to get some stuff.

"What do you mean? We just got here," He almost pouted and I resisted the urge to lean over and kiss his plump lips.

"I know, but it's still early and I want to get some stuff for tomorrow."

"Stuff? Oh, Luella, please, don't."

Josie seemed to join in the conversation then as well. "Honey, you absolutely don't have to at all. Just enjoy Christmas with us."

I paused and frowned. "No, no," I shook my head. "I have to. I want to."

Looking at Harry for support, he had his lips in a thin line before he took my hand, excused us and we went upstairs. When we were in the room I remember I was last sleeping in, he turned to me quietly.

"I want to ask you something, but don't take it the wrong way, yeah?"

I nodded, confused.

"How much do you have?"

"What?"

Harry awkwardly unfastens his bow tie that I very much liked on him and rubbed his neck.

"I don't know any other way to ask, but..." he trailed off. "I really don't want you spending your money on me, love. I just want you to have what you need."

My lips parted in realization and it crumbled my heart. I felt offended.

"What?" My voice came out raspy, so I cleared my throat. I was offended and embarrassed by his suggestion. "Harry, whose dress I'm wearing?"

Harry seemed to think about it and shook his head, putting his hands on my shoulders. "I knew you'd get it the wrong way. Listen, I have a shit load of money I probably don't deserve and I found it a habit of mine to spend it on you for some reason. You deserve the money you worked hard for."

I pursed my lips, searching for words.

"Luella," Harry sighed. "You already spent enough on those kids and workers at the orphanage. I really want you to enjoy yourself."

"I am enjoying myself, Harry!" I defended. "I'm wearing an expensive ass dress and I have an expensive ass phone and I'm pretty much spoiled by you. I have told you so many times that I don't like the way you get me things," I sighed and passed my hand through my hair. "I know why you're saying this and I know you don't mean anything by it. But I have what I need and I spend what I want. And you telling me what to do is seriously offensive right now."

"Oh, please no," Harry quickly said, his green eyes suddenly apprehensive and worried. "Is this quickly escalating into a fight? I have just won you as my girlfriend, jeez."

An entertained smile tugged at my lips. "Then, you should mind your own business, Boyfriend."

That's a sentence I'd never thought I'd say. I wouldn't have thought I'd ever have a brimming boyfriend that soon to my exit out of the orphanage. I remind myself to tick that off my Bucket List and write all about it whenever I have time. I doubt I'll ever stop writing about him in my diary, ever since the day I met him.