29 | cacophony

H A R R Y

More than half an hour she's been in that restroom. The food has already been laid out before us, Ben whining about it getting cold if Luella takes any longer. Kate's frown matches mine and I set my jaw, glancing over the restroom's direction again.

"Does she normally take so long?" Ben grunts. "Guys, let's just eat, she'll be back soon."

"Wait," Kate says, stands up and smooths down her dress. "I'll go check on her."

I sigh in relief and lean back. Ben is close to weeping as we watch Kate make her way to the restroom. But coming in the opposite direction is, the one and only, Poppy Nolden.

I clench my jaw when she gives me a lopsided smirk and look away. But to my surprise (and great relief), she doesn't stop by our table and cling onto me, she continues on her way and I couldn't have been any more grateful for the freedom.

Hopefully, she gave up on me, realized our relationship was nothing serious and moved on with her life. Hopefully.

"Dude, are you still not talking to Pop?" Ben asks.

"Er, yeah. Since that argument we had because of-"

"Because of Luella," Ben snickers, shakes his head a little.

"What? How did you know about that?" I glance at the unblinking restroom door.

"I'm hurt," Ben acts out and I close my eyes before opening them back to look at him with boredom. "I'm hurt that you don't tell me your life updates anymore. I mean, if you're screwing around with Luella, you could've just told me, man."

"I'm not screwing around with anyone." I interject, turning to him completely. "And Luella is not one to screw with. She'd probably burn that term to hell."

Ben narrows his eyes at me. "You're whipped," I think he says.

"No fucking way," I scoff. "I'm not whipped, you jackass."

"Ooh, you are, pal. Look at how your face fucking lit up when her name was mentioned!"

I frowned deeper, parting my lips in no words and glancing back in the restroom direction.

"Oh, fuck, Styles is finally whipped!"

"Cut it out, Ben, or I swear to God-"

"Have you confessed yet?"

"Ben."

"Did you make a move? Oh, shit, did you two-"

"Dammit, Ben!"

"Alright, alright," Ben laughs and throws his hands up in mock surrender. Pats me on the back of my shoulder and smiles genuinely. "Nice going, bro."

"Fuck off," I murmur, shrugging his hands off of me. "I am not whipped."

"You are whipped, mate."

"I will whip your fucking ass if you don't drop it."

Ben laughs.

"She's... We're not- It's not like that, okay? Shut up."

"Didn't say anything,"

"Fuck. Just...argh."

I bring the bottle of champagne the waiter had brought earlier, attempt to open it skillfully and succeed. Turning the glass flute upright, I pour down some of the classic red wine and press the lid to my lips, taking a huge gulp to burn its way down my throat.