22 | ditched

L U E L L A

Harsh wind assaulted me, forcing my ponytailed hair to slap my cold, numb cheeks rudely. The darkened streets (from some pompous clouds blocking the sunlight) weren't empty of vehicles but no one sane would walk, unshielded, alone in this horrible weather.

My insides were numb from the cold as I pushed against the force of blowing wind, feeling light as a feather when I had to take a turn with the howling wind.

When I finally do reach the grand hospital with the flickering lights and the rustling sound of leaves from depressing-looking trees and bushes hugging the building, I rush up the stairs and waste no time in savoring the warmth of the inside gratefully. My eyes started slightly tearing up from the harsh wind that tried to dry them moments ago.

Or what you've just been through... My subconscious added, shaking her head at me. I push her aside for now.

The hospital is unusually crowded and I know most of those people are probably just hiding from that weather. Polly is standing behind the reception counter, looking flustered as ever with people swarming her, asking for sign-ins and such as she tries to balance accepting calls and documenting entries.

For the first time in my life, I'm not helpful. What I shamefully do is duck behind the noisy row of people and take the stairs down to the basement, finally feeling relieved for some peace and quiet. I hold and pinch my freezing cheeks to gain them some warmth. Discarding my purse, I take the damned cellphone from my jeans pocket to check if there are any calls...texts...voicemails...anything. But no, none.

"Luella?" A lady named Wendy calls worriedly from the far top of the stairs, dressed in the nurse's gown. "Are you okay, darling?"

"Yes," My voice scratches but I clear my throat and nod quickly, offering her a strained reassuring smile. "I'm sorry I'm late. I'll change and come right up."

"No worries." Wendy seems to be fully convinced by my smile so she returns it and disappears back up to the ongoing chaos. I get out of my jacket and slump on the bed in exhaustion. (And fear, and worry, and disappointment, and anger.)

Today has been literally hectic. I slide my finger hastily across the screen to check the notifications tab at the top of the screen again: no new notifications.

Huffing, I try his number again...getting his voicemail for what seems like the millionth time. When I give up, I lay back on the rough mattress and try to rethink what's happened for the last two hours. Everything was going smooth -it was a good day, strangely with Harry.

We even had this weird, electric, buzzing moment when I caught him staring at me during the movie. We almost kissed. Well, it was a far shot, but it could have been a potential kiss.

But then, it all went mysterious when he got the phone call and it was that important he had to go out and take it. From that point till now, I don't know where on earth Harry is.

I've tried his phone, sent him a dozen texts and even called Ben, who didn't bother to pick up. It was impossible to reach him.

Maybe someone called him urgently for something important? Maybe that's why he had to just leave without a notice and ignore all my calls? It's just strange. And fairly humiliating. I can say that I've been ditched on a cinema date-practice -which is a phrase I never thought I'd be saying half of.

Feeling suffocated and really anxious at this point, I call Kate and almost instantly I hear her voice...but it's not coming from the other end of the line. Kate is dashing down the stairs to the basement that I spring up and off the bed, meeting her halfway in a quick hug. Her eyes are watching me warily when I know I clearly look as drained out as I feel.