Chapter 56 - The Sleepover

A/N: Naaaaw you guys wanted to kill me for that last cliffy. But aaaw there were some people who didn't want to kill me so I could update as well. I'm so brutally touched. ;D

Dedicated to UnePetitPissenlit for another great banner! Thanks girl! =))

.........................................................

       "Nothing," Daniel said, sounding a bit sceptical, a failed attempt to sound like the usual. "Nothing. Nothing's bothering me. Why? Why do you ask?"

     From inside the computer screen, he could see Kristina raising her brows in an unconvinced manner. Daniel clenched his fist away from the web camera's view. How pathetic did he sound just now?

       "You said 'nothing' three times and 'why' two times." Kristina mathematically pointed out. "Either you're hiding something or your brain just got more damaged."

     Daniel laughed softly at her customary joke (read: insult). What the hell was he supposed to say? He laid his back comfortably on the chair he was sitting on and just quietly stared at her image on his computer screen. "You're pretty."

     The video was clear and purely in high definition, so he could clearly see her. She frowned at his lame cover-up. He was smirking at her as he folded his arms against his chest. "Stop changing the topic butthead."

       "Mrs Butthead," he flashed an attractive smile. Kristina felt a nerve pop.

       "Just because you won't tell me doesn't mean I won't know."

     Daniel silently sighed from his nostrils. He gazed at her suspicious face and wondered how he should tell her about his current crisis. But that wasn't his main concern. He was more worried on how she would react to this. "They want me to participate in a marriage interview."

     He saw her eyes widen from the shock. He knew it would be better to tell her about it now than have her finding out for herself. She slowly recovered when she blinked and knitted her brows. Even though they were having a conversation on a computer screen, both could feel the uneasy tension  and heavy atmosphere between them.

     Kristina stared at his eyes as if she was sending an optical message. Marriage interview? Daniel? Her lips quivered as she spoke. "W-With Mari?"

     It was Daniel's turn to be surprised. "You know her?"

       "Not personally," she explained slowly, her eyes trailing down to the plain keyboard. "Anne showed me her cousins' photos. Mari and Chie. They're with you there, right?"

     Daniel nodded his head. He fixed his gaze on her dazed expression and felt a tinge of hurt in his chest. What now? Can he smack himself for making her look like that now?

     Kristina softly laughed and found her eyes back to Daniel. She gave him a strained smile to somehow hide the hurt she was suddenly feeling. "She's really pretty."

     He gave her a grim face, showing how much he disapproved. The sound of that feigned laugh was lonely, and heart-breaking. "You're prettier."

       "Daniel," she sighed, a troubled look crossing her face. "Is Mr Richard planning to... with you two..?"

       "I don't know," he quickly and honestly replied. "But I have a feeling he wants me to marry her."

     Marry her. Marry. Her. Those set of words were enough to form a small lump in her throat. She swallowed hard to somehow make it disappear but it was difficult. She was having mixed feelings now. Annoyance, anxiety, worry, hurt... Taking in a deep and sharp breath, she looked at his image on the screen again. "So what are you going to do?"