Chapter 20: Daddy's a no-show

I sit on Joey's lap as we all huddle around the kitchen table, telling stories about music, the family, future possible vacation trips, old memories, recent memories. The lot.

"Y'know, I've had that same thing happen to me!" Joey chirps.

"Oh, yeah?" I say, still on his lap with my elbow on the table, propping my head up.

"Mm!" He attempts to talk as he takes a swig of beer. "Yeah. We were in Pasadena back in 2008 when we were still 'Emily's Army' and I think we all had one too many drinks. Anyway, I crashed in my hotel bed, well, I thought it was my hotel bed. I guess you never really know until you wake up with your arm wrapped around a Cole." He finished. The whole table erupted with laughter and I was nearly doubled over. My fist pounded on the table, making the cutlery and glasses shake.

When we all finished, a couple of is wiped our eyes whole Joey just sat still chuckling, examining his beer label.

"Can I have a sip?" I ask. Joey looks over at Adie and she gives the 'Ok' nod. He smiles and hands over the bottle. I quickly take a swig and lower the bottle, looking at the label. "Can I have the rest?" A question as to which Joey raises his eyebrows and looks back at Adie.

"Um, how much is left?"

"About a quarter." Joey states. Looking from the bottle back to Adie.

"That's fine, then." She smiles. I smile back and Thank Joey.

"Cheer, Big bro." I say swigging more of the bitter substance while Jakob pitifully sips at his cola. I can't help but laugh.

A comfortable silence fell upon us and I was the first to break it.

"Hey, Mom?"

"Yeah, sweetie?"

"Where's Dad?" I asked, taking another sip of beer.

"I have no idea. I assumed if something happened, he would've called us." She said, looking around.

I was now concerned. The skies were no longer sunny, but engulfed with night's perks and bright speckles of burning gas and the craters clearly visible on the full, lunar face.

I looked over at the clock on the stove.

8:24

Almost a complete ten hours since the last I saw him. With no warning of where he went.

"I'm gonna go call him." I said, getting off of Joey's lap. I swaggered over to my mobile phone on the little dresser in the hallway, beer still in hand.
I unlocked my phone, trying to dodge Jimmy's messages. I tapped the phone icon and tapped Billie's phone number.

Ring...ring...ri-

"He-"

"Hello." The voice cut me off. One that was very, very recognisable. And one that was very, very unwelcome.

"W-what do you want?"

"I already have what I want, Neomi. Let's play a little game of Hide and Seek. I'll make it easy for you...Billie will hide." He said mischievously. "You have one week." He laughed before hanging up.

I stood there in shock before slowly lowering the phone away from my ear, the beer bottle dropping from my hand and smashing on the floor.

"M-mom!" I stuttered out.

One thing, and one thing only had crossed my mind.

Billie Joe...

[A/N: Sorry! I know it's über short and I was just eager to get this chapter out so I can get things rolling again.
ANYWHO! Enjoy!
What's gonna happen to Beej? Dun-dun-dunnnnnn!!!!!]