Chapter 18

|ALEX'S POV|

New York – YEAR 2014

It's been a month since I got here in New York. 5 days after I got here my grandmother passed away, she died peacefully in her sleep. I guess that one month forecast isn't true. I could leave here though because my boss assigned me a project that involves a construction here in New York and he made me project head since I'm already here and they wanted the best people to work on the project.

I haven't bumped into Alice yet but I already saw most of my friends. I even saw Diana and fortunately, I saw her 20 minutes before she was scheduled to meet Alice. Maybe destiny doesn't want us to see each other again, I don't know and I'm not sure.

My communication with Natalie was still going strong, we tried as much as possible to talk everyday. I really don't know what is going on with us. It's complicated. I guess she has become my friend but the chummy good mornings and good nights we share confuses the hell out of me. Today I was on my way to meeting Bianca. She wanted to have lunch and so I agreed since ever since I got here we only went out like thrice and we haven't really had the time to catch up.

"Bree where are you? I'm on my way to the restaurant." I called her because she hasn't replied to any of my texts yet.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry. Can you pick me up here at my friend's house? I asked my driver to do an errand and he still hasn't come back yet. If I wait for him, I won't make it in time?" She then said sounding busy.

"Where? What are you doing?" I asked more confused than ever.

"Oh I'll text you the address. Remember the fund raising event I'm organizing? Well it's in 3 weeks and I'm here at her house finalizing everything. I'll text you the address, you can come in." She replied.

"God, okay. I'll be there in 20. You know how much of a hassle this is right?" I then put down the phone. Sometimes this girl can be a pain in the ass. She's so committed to everything she does that she forgets everything else around her. I love it that she's like that though.

After 20 mins I got to her friend's house and she asked me to park and come in first to meet the rest of the team. So I parked my car and went inside to where they were finalizing everything and getting it ready for the event in three weeks.

"Ohhh you're here. Girls she's here. Everyone meet my best friend and the person who donated that check, Alex Austin." Bianca introduced me to everyone when suddenly we heard a glass being dropped. And imagine my surprise when I saw the one and the only, Alice Lewis. The girl who broke my heart. After 4 years, we finally meet again.

I then rushed to her and asked her if she was okay. I mean I did that because I was a genuinely good person and if it was someone else, I would still rush to them to check if they injured themselves with the glass shattering in front of them.

"Ah ah ah I'm I'm fi fine." She replied stuttering can't believe her eyes.

"Oh yeah Alice you might not recognize her because of how much weight she has lost and how handsome/beautiful she is. So Alice, this is Alex Austin. Alex, this is Alice." Bianca interrupted making it more awkward.

"Of course I remember her." I tried to keep my cool when I said that but deep inside I was nervous, shy, and I don't know. It feels like everything inside me is dancing, running, and being in a state where I couldn't understand what I'm feeling because of the riot.

She looks even better now. More mature but her body is more toned, and age really did well on her. The curls in her hair are more defined now, and she looks absolutely amazing.

"Hey are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?" I asked looking at her and trying to see if she's bleeding somewhere.

"No, I'm okay. Sorry about the mess, I'll go clean it up." She then said to me now more composed.

"It's okay someone is already coming to clean it up. Come and sit here." Bianca then said breaking the tension between us.

"So Alex, you're based in Sydney, right? How long will you be here?" One of Bianca's friends asked.

"Yeah I am. I'm going to be here for 6 more months just to finish a project then I'm going back to Sydney." I then replied smiling.

"I thought you were going to stay here for good?" Bianca then teased.

"You wish, Bree." I laughed.

"Oh I remember Alice's story. Is she the one in your story? The girl you saw in Sydney a year ago?" Someone asked.

Alice then tried to change the topic. Why was she in Sydney? And she saw me? What? Instead of going out for lunch, Bianca asked me to stay and join them instead and since I couldn't leave without any of these girls eating me alive, I stayed. After a while someone called me and I stepped out to answer and when I was done talking I saw Alice walking to her car and grabbing some stuff that she would carry inside. So because I was a gentlewoman I went there and asked her if she needed help.

"Do you need a hand?" I asked.

"I'm fine." She then said.

"Are you sure? That looks heavy, here let me give you a hand." I helped her and in the middle of walking I blurted out something I wished I hadn't. "So you were in Sydney huh? You saw me?"

"Yeah I was. I travelled alone and tried to look for myself then I found myself in Sydney and I saw you. I didn't know how to approach you though." She replied shyly.

"To be honest if you did, I really don't know what would've been my reaction. You look good though." I told her then honestly.

"I look good? Have you seen yourself in the mirror? You've changed so much and you look really different." She then said smiling.

"Different good or different bad?" I asked her.

"Alex..." She dropped the box and hugged me tight.

TO BE CONTINUED......