Chapter 22

|ALEX'S POV|

New York – YEAR 2014

"It's not I how imagined it would end you know?"

"What?" I replied.

"The whole thing, I imagined it to end in a light and happy tone. Not that way. I didn't want to hurt you." She said softly.

"Hey what's done is done, It was a learning experience for the both of us. I was out of control and you did what you had to do." I then answered.

"But I still caused you pain. Too much pain. I loved you. A lot, and if I could change how it ended I would." Her eyes started to dwell with tears and I was devastated because I couldn't do anything to stop it.

"I know that. Why do I think did I defend you from my friends when they were hating on you? I was thankful for the forever you gave me, I just want to forget about it and move past it." I was questioning whether I want that or not, truth be told, I'm not sure about how I feel. I feel like I want to try again with her but my mind tells me no anymore.

"Thank you for that. Can I ask a question?"

"Sure what is it?"

"Can we be friends?"

"I'm not too sure about that, Alice. Everyone knows that you're not only my first love, but you are also my greatest love which equals to my biggest heartbreak. That said, I'm afraid that if we become friends, I'd end up falling in love with you all over again." I then replied kind of unsure of what I'm saying.

"I understand, I never thought of it that way but you have a point." She then said sadly.

"But hey, we can try?" I smiled.

"We can." She then replied and again the car was quiet.

We finally got to our destination and Alice talked to the manager while I waited for the samples to be ready. I was just sitting there reading the magazine when I saw a picture of Natalie strolling Italy with this other model guy and the headline read "Natalie Devoraux and Matthew Collins, new couple in town?". I was shocked because I thought Natalie and I had an understanding. I don't want to jump into conclusions because I know how show business works, they put malice in everything. Maybe I should ask Natalie about this, or maybe not, I don't really know. I guess I really have the falling for a straight girl sickness.

Alice noticed the changed of my mood and sat with me, she asked me if I was okay and kept reassuring me that maybe it's just gossip and that they probably bumped into each other inside. All sorts of stuff just to keep my mind straight. She still knows how to cheer me up when I'm down. She's really good in working her magic with words just to make me feel better and that's the one thing I like about her.

"You like her a lot, don't you?" She asked.

"I don't really know, I guess, maybe? She's special to me." I answered.

"Then why not go for it?"

"Because after you, I got scared of falling in love again. I became a stone, no feelings for anybody. Hell I don't even do crushes." I replied laughing.

"Hey not everyone is like me, not everyone will hurt you." She said to me sadness present in her voice.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way, you're a nice person, Alice. You deserve happiness just as much as I do."

"I wish I could be happy with you." She whispered but enough for me to hear.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, I said that you should really try because you will never know."

"Thank you."

On the way home after getting the samples, Alice and I just kept talking about random things. How she's been, why she didn't pursue theater, all the little things. It was less stressful than before. We kind of got used to each other being around and just continued acting like no one was there. At least we weren't tip-toeing around each other anymore, it was more comfortable after getting all those out.

When we got back, I stayed for about an hour when Bianca and I decided that it was time to go. I wanted to spend time with her as much as I can just to make up for lost time and of course because she would kill me if I didn't. On my way to the car imagine my surprise when Alice shouted my name and came to me.

"Hold on Bree, I think Alice needs something."

"Yeah go ahead, just please turn on the car, I'll just be inside." I then went and turned on my car then went back down to meet Alice.

"Hey Alice, what's up?"

"Do you mind if we exchanged numbers? I mean have dinner or lunch or breakfast sometime, I'd love to catch up more with you." She then said shyly.

"Yeah sure, here." We exchanged numbers and Bianca and I left for dinner. She asked me about what Alice and I talked about and how I felt. Again to be honest, I honestly don't know what I'm feeling, I'm unsure of everything going on.

"You can always meet up with her and then slowly deal with your feelings you know." Bianca then suggested.

"I guess I could do that." We continued having dinner and went home late that night. I told her I'd talk to her soon because the week is going to be a long one for me.

A few days passed and I totally forgot I had Alice's number. I was busy juggling work, family, and meeting up with my friends that Alice was behind me already.

From: Alice Lewis

To: Alex Austin

Hey! Are you busy?

To: Alice Lewis

From: Alex Austin

Not really, why? What's up?

From: Alice Lewis

To: Alex Austin

I found this hole in the wall seafood place near our old school, want to come?

To: Alice Lewis

From: Alex Austin

Yeah sure, do you want me to pick you up? Or meet you there?

To: Alex Austin

From: Alice Lewis

I can pick you up. Are you at your house?

I then texted Alice my work address and she picked me up, I don't really know what her intentions are but if it means sorting out my feelings, then I'm up for anything.