Chapter 7

PRESENT DAY

|ALEX’S POV|

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – YEAR 2014

            “Haley wake up! COME HERE!” I shouted from my room after reading the mail. I was too shocked and honestly scared to open the mail. It was from lettermelater.com, she must have sent this years ago and she wanted me to receive it today of all the days. But why? I don’t get it. I hope she never did this because I already convinced myself that I’m done with her and I’ve already moved on.

            I called Haley again and this time louder. That woman is surely a heavy sleeper. “WHAT DO YOU WANT? I WAS HAVING A GOOD DREAM AND YOU JUST HAD TO RUIN IT?” And there she barged into my room like a mad woman.

            “What dream? Jessy is here, right? What more are you asking for sucker? Anyway come here and check this out.” I then showed her the mail I got. I still haven’t opened it yet because as I’ve said I am scared. Like really scared.

            “What the fuck is this?” Haley seemed shocked with the mail too. Haley and Alice were friends, she was my only friend whom Alice trusted and befriended. Alice may be innocent and sweet but she has this thing where if you don’t know her you might think that she’s mean.

            “Why don’t you read it? Let’s see when she wrote this and why she wrote this.” Haley suggested. I was thinking about it. When I refreshed my mail, another one from her appeared.

            “Dude you know that if I could, I would. But I can’t. Too scared to know what it contains.” I said to her. I was contemplating whether I should give it a go or not. I didn’t know what to feel but something is pushing me to open the mail. I feel like it was something that I had to do. It felt like she was trying to tell me something with her mail.

            “If you won’t I will. Or better yet I could call Alice right now I still have her number. I mean I called her last month to ask for tickets to her show. It was sold out and Jessy and her friends wanted to watch so I did what I had to do, I called her. Sorry that I didn’t tell you.” Haley then got her phone and showed to me that she would really do it. Bet she was as curious as I was.

            “WHAT? I’m not mad. I’m shocked. But okay fine let’s give it a go. Favor though.. press it for me?” I looked at her pleading with my eyes. I really can’t do it. Even the thought of Natalie can’t calm me down.

            “Ready? In 3, 2, 1. Boom. READ.” Haley said. We both then read the email and tears started falling down my eyes. It was flowing by now. I knew that she meant every word in that letter. Her 1st letter sent 2 days before we broke up went like this..

My dearest Alex,

Hi! Today is December 15 and tomorrow we’re going to see each other and I’m going to break up with you. This isn’t easy. I’ve been crying over this decision for 2 weeks now. I really don’t want to do this but I’m left with no choice. You’ve changed. I know that if you might be thinking that I broke up with you because I don’t love you anymore or maybe because I fell in love with someone else but truth is my love for you never faded and I didn’t fall in love with someone else. And knowing you, you might also think that I’m broke up with you because you’re fat but know that was never an issue to me.