Chapter 21

Authors Note:

This might be a little spoiler, but in there Alice and Alex talked about a note, and I wrote the note down at the bottom of the chapter. Thank you, guys! 

CHAPTER 21

|ALEX'S POV|

New York – YEAR 2014

"What was that? Did you say something?" I asked, I heard her clearly but I wanted to be sure that I didn't mishear or that I was imagining everything.

"I just said if we could listen to a different song? This is too loud." She replied.

"You don't like electronic dance music? EDM is life!" I then said excitedly. I like beats and tunes, I support EDM because at one point it was the music that made me forget about the pain.

"It depends, but I'm not in the mood for it today."

"Oh okay, pick whatever music you like." I said, and continued to drive. There was a crash ahead of us which is causing the delay. We've been stuck in this traffic for a while now. And this is my only complaint here in New York, the traffic is really bad during rush hour. A 15-minute walk could turn into an hour of drive during rush hour. "Hey Alice, can I ask you a question?" I then said debating with myself if this is even the right time to ask this question.

"Anything. If you want an explanation, I'm willing to give it to you as well."

"No not an explanation. We talked about that and remember I told you, we've both moved on. It's in the past, no need to talk about it. But my question is, why did you date that douchebag Andrew? Remember before your friends warned you about him, he's bad news, he will pull you down. Why him? And also, Lorraine? Really? Was that true?"

"For the Lorraine part, no. Not true. I never even saw her after you left, she contacted me several times when she heard I was single but I wasn't interested. I ended up blocking her because I didn't want anything to do with her. And for Andrew, I don't know, I guess he was a rebound. He cheated on me several times but I just couldn't leave him."

"What is it with him that you can't leave? I mean he was an asshole, that I was sure. Even though I wasn't here, I had a group chat with my friends and they would discuss seeing him with another girl. I couldn't say anything since I wasn't there and it's not my personality to jump into conclusions." I then said.

"Honestly, if Andrew didn't cheat and didn't swear at me so much, he reminded me of you. The way he would do the little things, and the way he would talk to me. I guess after you, I found comfort in him because it felt like you didn't leave. After I caught him on the act, I left him though. My friends always told me I deserved better, and the moment I had a reason for myself, I left him." She then replied with a blank face. I guess Andrew was a real asshole to her.

"Okay my turn, can I ask you something Alex?"

"This is gonna be the second time you said that, but sure fire away."

"About 3 years ago, I was helping Diana pack her stuff for her move, and I found this paper with your handwriting, it was titled 'To the person who loves Alice next', I knew it was you who wrote that.. why?" I can feel her staring at me even though my eyes were on the road. I didn't know exactly what she wants me to say. I wrote that because that's what I felt at that moment. I gave it to Haley and I didn't think that she would give it to Diana.

"First of all, that was meant for Haley, I have to talk to her and ask her how it got to Diana. Second, I don't know. At that moment, that was what I was feeling. I was close to moving on, and I wanted the next person who's gonna love you, to love you the way you deserved to be loved. As I've said before, I never hated you, I was more thankful because in the span of time we we're together, you made me experience my infinity with you." I then said.

She was quiet, trying to process everything that I said. "Wow this is the first time I saw you after my going away party and we jumped into these conversations right away, ehh? I was expecting this car ride to be more like hi and hello kind of stuff but it got real pretty quick." I then said try to make her at ease. I laughed to mask away the nervousness I was feeling at the moment. The rest of the car ride was silent, both of us in our own worlds, thinking of what ifs and what could have been.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the note that I wrote guys.. Exactly what I wrote, word for word:

To the person who loves you next,

Remember to text her sweet nothings the moment you wake up.

Remember to remind her how beautiful she is.

Remember to tell her how grateful you are that she is in your life and that she loved you back.

Remember to remind her that she means the world to you.

Never forget to show her support in every endeavor she pursues.

Remember to compliment her every now and then, especially when she sings and acts; that is her passion, encourage her.

Remember to remind her of every single reason why you're in love with her.

Most importantly, remember to love her through good and bad, and to the best of your ability because she deserves to be given your everything.

And for you, Alice..

If you need anybody, know that I'm always here for you. I loved you, and perhaps I still do, and I'm thankful because at some point, you loved me too.

Honestly, I want nothing more than your happiness. It would be great if that happiness means being with me, but then again, I can settle for you being happy with someone else. I hope that person doesn't break your heart, and I hope that person will give you everything I failed to give. I wish that you would find someone who would make you happy, the way you made me happy.

Thank you, and good luck with your life, Alice. 'til we meet again.