Flew a Little Too Far

The cool wind caressed my flushed cheeks as Linksys flew over a sea of clouds. I could finally be free from my obligations in my homeland. Hopefully, no one would come after me. I always had an adventurous mind yet was always restrained by my father, seeing as I wasn't your ordinary villager.

"Don't do this," or "don't do that," or "no, not today, you can't go. Your duties as the heir come first." His words ran through my head like obnoxious children run through the streets of the village. His cold eyes never shined like a proud father's would. It only goes to show how I was merely one of his tools and not his daughter.

Looking around, I realized the clouds were thinning, and I could make out what was below, however surprising it was. I was no longer above the Caspian Sea; rather, I was now over a land I didn't recognize. My panic rose as I leaned toward my dragon, Linksys, stroking his neck. He let out a growl, signaling he understood my thoughts and began descending. We landed with a massive wave of pressurized wind soaring around us, and I slid off his shoulder in front of his large wing to land with a thud.

"Linksys," he rose his massive, horned head to look at me with his beautiful blue orbs, "vehemeh vwon." (Level one.) I flicked my hand in his direction, my magic surrounding his body. He immediately downsized to a small, cute, cat-sized reptile. Now, he jumped up on my shoulder as a perch, his formerly deep, massive voice now small and high in pitch.

"Aliesh, nah veveh neh wimz pah attiesh tewl mem attieshen viv tique r'wel bev da fwean lashwin." (Alright, now we won't attract too much attention if this really is a foreign land.) Patting his head jubilantly, I jumped to the trees and continued my scout. However, the weighted feeling of pursuers kept gnawing at my instinct. Whoever it was, the pursuer was fast – faster than me even. And I, being an elf, am unusually fast in nature. Linksys noticed it as well, letting out a cute, gutteral growl.

Finally making it to an opening, I jumped onto the path only to stop abruptly when two large, green gates caught my peripheral vision. It was astonishing enough to render me breathless and to distract me long enough for my pursuers to get the upper hand.

Before I could react, my shoulder was kicked to the ground, Linksys being thrown off harshly. I grunted in discomfort as the wind left my lungs, and words I didn't understand filled my ears. What are these people saying?

I studied their weird and scary faces. They seemed to be wearing masks of sorts and were clad in black clothing.

"G-gashmie vah? Sheh neh meashie pah. Lighf muy geh, feleamish h'omens." (W-who're you? I mean no harm. Let me go, foolish humans.) I attempted to communicate, however fruitless it was. These people obviously didn't speak my language as they looked to each other in bewilderment. That's when Linksys recovered and jumped on the man holding me down, biting at his shoulder.

In a panic, the man wrenched Linksys from the dip between his neck and shoulder, leaving a nasty gash and throwing him to the ground. A cry of pain left his small mouth, making my heart jump and anger rise. He was protecting me. Now it's my fault he's hurt.

"Linksys! Vehemeh flend!" (Level three.) I exclaimed hastily, jumping on his back as his body became massive enough to seat a rider. The three men fell back in sheer astonishment as the white dragon kicked off the ground with a quick flap of his huge wings. Soaring into the infinite blue mass, he flew over the green gates and headed toward the nearest mountain that had intricate faces carved into it. We planned to land there and continue our journey. It was time to get out of here.

Not having a good start, we didn't have a lot of altitude, so his long tail collided with a few roofs. Grimacing, I tried to pull him up, but it was to no avail. This village was too crowded. We had to land before he was knocked off balance.

"Linksys! Vehemeh chee!" (Level two.) I jumped up and over as he landed on a roof, reverting to about the size of a large bear. He was large enough to fight but not too big. My feet landed gracefully on the plaited roof, resulting in a smooth save. "Aliesh, bah, lighf'd – " (Alright, boy, let's –)

I was cut off by more angry voices exclaiming things in a fast, toned language. Sensing violent nature, I glanced at Linksys, and we both began our run. He immediately took to air as I jumped over rooftops, running from the three adults. Looking back, I could see a man in a green jumpsuit, a woman with extravagant, red eyes, and a man who apparently smoked cigarettes. Looking down to the ground, I could see younger people who vigorously chased me. The lead had familiar hair. It was blonde! Maybe he spoke my language? He seems to be at least a bit like the humans back at home, with an exception of his abnormal, orange clothing.

Not paying attention, I didn't realize I was running out of rooftops and slipped to the ground. I quickly tried to run farther but was met by a dead end, and sensing no alternative, I pressed my whole being against the wall and looked on at my pursuers with an annoyed expression. The three adults jumped to the ground, glaring at me while the younger adults finally caught up. I shook in terror as they began throwing loops of language at me.

"P-pamay uete! Sheh neh dwee pah y'vendevere!" (P-please stop! I don't understand!) Covering my ears in exasperation, unintentional sobs escaped my lips, and I sunk to the ground. Maybe I shouldn't have run away? As the clatter finally died down, I looked up to see them staring at me indecisively. "Meio goshwey bev Elvinia, chevo – " (My name is Elvinia, and –)

I gasped as Linksys dropped in front of me defensively, roaring louder than I'd ever heard before. Without having time to think properly, I stepped in front of him before their throwing knives could pierce his beautiful hide, however foolish it was. Feeling a pain I hadn't felt in forever, I dropped to a knee as the warm, golden substance known as blood seeped down the hands that now pulled the knife from my chest.

"D-doshdev?" (W-why?) I stood, ignoring the pain as the knife fell carelessly from my already numb fingers. I attempted taking a step until my knees buckled, and I began falling. Linksys, my beautiful friend, caught me with his muzzle, letting out a whimper of grievance as I wholeheartedly put my weight on him. Did I finally earn my freedom just for it to end this way? It can't!

Falling into darkness, I sighed in content as my memories solaced me. Maybe it wasn't too bad after all. This place was actually quite beautiful. I wish I could've explored it more. However, I don't regret a thing.