What is This Kiss?

My mind swam in an endless sea of surreal darkness as my subconscious entertained my sleeping body. An all-too-real dream plagued me. A demon bared its massive fangs at me as I watched it through the bars. However, it seemed I was behind the bars, being taunted by the fox who boasted of his freedom and humored at my restraints. I began speaking; however, my voice was gone, causing the demon even more amusement as he watched me struggle with the bars.

Saying something I couldn't understand, he raised his giant paw and swiped at me. Before I could see the outcome, I jolted up in a white, chilly bed with a curtain to my left, cold sweat running in rivulets down my spine. It was one of those dreams I only ever got once every seven moons. It was like a premonition, and this one wasn't a good one.

With a screech, the curtain rolled back, making a startled cry escape my lips as people looked in on me. It was the man with the cigarette.

"Oh," my eyes landed on the blonde boy, "cah vah, pavientay, y'vendevere muy?" (can you, perchance, understand me?) I watched anxiously as he looked at me dumbfounded, and my shoulders drooped. Looking at them defeated, they began conversing with one another, leaving me to fiddle with my sheets.

A pink haired girl with eyes the color of jade walked toward me with a gentle expression on her face. She pulled out flasks of what smelled like foreign herbs or medicines, and I then remembered my chest. Feeling my panic rise as she reached to uncover the area, I slapped away her hand. She looked at me in astonishment for a moment but regained her composure. I had to communicate with them if I wanted this wound healed.

Thinking it over for a bit, I decided to do my best with a few hand gestures. I snapped my fingers, gaining their attention and began outlining my hip where my satchel once rested. I proceeded to throw my hands up in a questioning manner, repeating the gestures until a male whispered to an older female who had low, blonde pigtails and a rather large bust. She nodded hesitantly, trying to study me the entire time.

A few moments later, the male returned with my satchel! I nodded my head jubilantly, gesturing that that was what I indeed needed. The satchel was thrown in my direction, and I hastily caught it, not wanting the contents to spill and break. I felt my chest tighten, and the golden blood poured from my mouth as I coughed it from my lungs. I needed my emergency medicine. It was a miracle medicine.

I took it from the satchel, its cherry red glass gleaming in the sunlight. Juice from the Fire Flower was indeed essential in times of fatal injuries. It could heal any fatal wound in a matter of seconds with just one drop. I carefully poured a drop in the cap of the bottle and proceeded to slip it down my throat. It was an icy-hot sensation as if it was so hot, it felt cold.

Setting it down, I opened up the top of my shirt and studied the open part of my chest. It was completely gone, only a slight discoloration acting as the scar. Gasps of astonishment reverberated through the room, and I saw the girl from before holding the red bottle in shock. I quickly retrieved it from her and hooked the satchel back on my waist. Now, for the important part.

I looked around and noticed the bed a few yards away. An occupant lied there, motionless and seemingly unconscious from severe injury. His mask was in the way, but it would have to do. The fastest way to get out of this situation was to learn their language, even if I had to cheat a little.

Sensing my hesitation, the onlookers tensed a bit as I walked toward him. Before anyone could stop me, I leaned down to his level, my long, white hair falling over the sheet, and my lips met the fabric of the cloth over his lips. I could feel the information seeping into my brain as their language became second nature to me. Feeling the tingling sensation subside, I pulled away only to be met by a blown away crowd of people. Why were they so shocked? I was merely learning his language. It was a simple gesture, such as a handshake or a bow. It was common. Why are they reacting this way? Deciding to ignore it, I backed up and smiled a warm smile.