Immortal Play

"Chiriku and I both served together as members of the Twelve Shinobi Guardsmen." The man I didn't particularly like was now the man I was forced to help. He was currently explaining his past and how it pertained to what was transpiring in the mission. Regardless of what I had said last night, I would not be helping this man. I don't even remember half of what I did last night let alone making a promise, which is what Hatake had claimed.

Asuma went on to compare his life to that of his pupils', but his claim of quitting smoking was what confused the other people with us. Along with the man and I, there were three others- Shikamaru, a man with an odd bandage over his nose, and another man with longer, brown hair. I had learned that Shikamaru was a former pupil of the man named Asuma- the man I loathed. But for some reason, I had the itching feeling I had heard his name somewhere before. However, I couldn't remember for the life of me where I'd heard it or who had said it. All I could see were blurry faces and hear fuzzy conversations.

I later learned the names of the other two as Asuma warned us of Akatsuki's strength. The one brandishing the abnormal bandage held the name of Kotetsu, and the one with hair covering his right eye held the name of Izumo. They were apparently guards that monitored the gates of Konoha when not on missions. Before I realized it, Asuma had held a hand up for us to halt, everyone following his command and alighting the forest's edge.

Before us lied an open landscape, an oddly placed building in the center of the clearing. It resembled a rest stop. On the steps sat a very ominous man who donned a black cloak covered in red clouds. His vibrant magenta eyes sent trepidation coursing through me, for they held a certain malicious intent that presaged evil. Feeling a tap on my shoulder, I glanced at Asuma who regarded me carefully.

"I know you're not particularly fond of me and all, but we'll need your help in apprehending this guy. Will you listen to our plan?" He inquired innocently, riling up my anger at his foul attempt in so unabashedly requesting my assistance.

"I'm not entirely sure why I even considered taking on this mission from Tsunade. I don't know what came over me last night, but I will say that you have some nerve in requesting my assistance when you know good and well what you did to earn my abhorrence. I suggest leaving me out of your little plans." Feeling the fire well up inside of me, I released it in a thread of vicious words. Not caring about the glares and judgmental glances from the team, I remained steadfast in keeping my gaze with a contemplative Asuma.

"Oi, that's no way to treat Asuma. Whatever he did, I'm sure it was in the line of duty. You can't hold grudges like that when you ea-"

Almost not being able to contain myself, I interrupted Shikamaru before he could finish. "He had no right to do what he did, duty or not. Now get on with this, so I can leave this place." I spat venomously, Linksys jostled awake by my pulsating anger. He stood on my shoulder, stretching his limbs and letting out a perfectly small yawn.

The humans turned their hateful glares away, walking a few yards off to discuss their plans. I wasn't sure what, "she's got such an ugly attitude," and "what a conceited woman, no wonder Tsunade's desperate for good outcome," had anything to do with apprehending two Akatsuki members, but I hadn't made that any of my business. So I ignored the words that would definitely be back around to take their dues when the sayers were all dead by the Akatsuki's hands and wishing for the conceited woman's help.

I watched carefully and quietly from my perch in the nearest tree as the fighting commenced. The Akatsuki member had been colorfully complaining about the stench of the place and how it had settled into his clothes when Asuma appeared behind the man. Seeing Asuma's shuriken just in time, the criminal snatched at a rope that must've coiled up his arm and under his cloak. Following the jerked rope, a rather dangerous scythe followed, its triple blades knocking the shuriken to the ground as he sent a playful, arrogant smirk to Asuma.