A Human's Will

The wind cut through my chilled skin as if to mimic to the frigid pitches of the melody. The flute seemed to play me rather than I play it.

Of course, the demon had reared its baleful head, and Naruto's clones had struggled to maintain it. With every passing rhythm, however, his vicious claws and haunting chakra cloak diminished, his clones disappearing in a puff of smoke. All in all, it had gone smoothly. He was able to cut cleanly through a leaf.

But more importantly, I seemed to be deepening my bond with the demon. Every time I managed to subdue him, it was as if the timeless melodies enraptured his soul and linked it to mine. I could feel his despair, and it quite frankly made me want to weep in sorrow. Such anguish. Such hate. Such loneliness. No wonder his appearance was so astonishingly frightful.

After finally completing the first phase, Naruto's energy had been sapped after releasing all thousand of his clones, and Hatake had barely appeared by his side in time to catch his falling figure. We sat in silence, waiting for him to awaken. Linksys had come to my side, acting as a cushion for my aching self to recline on. Naruto wasn't the only vanquished fighter; however, he was passed out in the grass next to Hatake.

As thoughts ran through my mind, a slight, soft breeze blew across the field, the blades of grass dancing in response. It was peaceful with the lull of the waterfall behind us and the random chirps of birds high in the sky. Shadows of passing clouds were seen flying across the fields as if running from an unknown entity.

Before long, my breathing became one with Linksys's, and my eyelids drifted close for a while.

The crimson circle snaked around her petrified form, the scarlet lines creating a triangle within the circle. Her legs quaked in fear as the symbol completed itself.

A slight whimper formed in her throat as tight cords wrapped around her, taking captive her wrists, ankles, waist, and neck. They moved to strangle her, numbness taking over her body as her vision became blotted.

It was then that a man appeared. His eyes were anguished and posture slumped.

His mouth moved as if forming words, but no sound escaped. His hand desperately reached out to her as the cords dragged her away. Writing in attempts to escape, she watched as the man's frightened expression became smaller and smaller.

"Hey!" His voice rang in my ears, my heart jolting in surprise. Eyes flying open, I immediately regretted my decision as the noon sun burned them like hell's fire. When I finally felt them adjusting and simmering down, I reopened them only to find my hand squeezing Hatake's wrist, his face close due to my aggressive hold.

I immediately released him, seeing his uncomfortable flush and feeling my temperature rise as well. I cursed silently. He was a human. He was a human.

"What was that all about? Bad dream?" He asked hesitantly, avoiding meeting my gaze. Sighing, I rubbed my temples in attempts to mitigate the headache forming.

"I'm afraid it was more than just that." I responded lightly, sitting up and happily welcoming Linksys's nuzzle with a petting hand. Hatake's raised brow forced me to expand my description. "It was a premonition." I finished, slumping back down onto Linksys's comfy side.