Disappointing Hopes

"But I need to know, Elvinia. . ."

Chained to a hospital bed, I could do nothing but listen to the whimpering of a child. There was no need to answer him. It'd be a lie, and it'd break his already torn heart. Besides, I had let myself become too close to these people. They were humans. And humans and elves just didn't go together.

Silence filled the air once more. It had been my answer to each and every attempt he threw out. Could he not take a hint?

"Answer me! Why do you act one way at times and then another way later?!" He bellowed, his voice making something prickle at my emotions and form unsettling lumps in my throat. My eyes had shifted color all throughout our "conversation", but the emotions connected with those colors never portrayed themselves on my face. I wouldn't let the hot deluge of sadness or anguish- whatever it was causing the restricting feeling in my throat- fall from its prison either.

"Typical woman, Naruto. They're always that way." A new voice was heard, the undertones ringing familiarity in my ears. Finally looking up, I felt my anger take over.

"You," a hollow, grave sound left my lips, immediately gaining the attention of the two, "you're the man that destroyed my precious dragon whistle that day." My breathing was steady and controlled, the stormy pigments of crimson staining my eyes.

His face registered in remembrance, eyes wide in recognition. The cigarette in his mouth quietly fell, its impact with the ground soft but so loud in the stark silence.

"A-ah," he stuttered breathlessly, a hand going to rub his neck, "s-sorry about that. Too used to having to act on the spot, ya know?" A sheepish smile graced his lips, his amateur acting only infuriating me more.

"Get out of my sight." I turned my steadfast gaze to the wall in front of me, unblinking and unrelenting. A sigh was heard as a door clicked open, the sound of feet gradually taking their pace. One presence lingered. I could feel his solemn gaze boring into me.

"Go, Naruto." I stated harshly, the lump in my throat pressing on my voice.

With those words, his presence left rather hastily, the door slamming to a close. It was then that the prison broke, and the water fled its compound, seeping toward the ends of the road and leaving paths down the skin of my cheeks. The area was hot, the water warm in fresh anger and sadness. I wasn't sure which. That's what made it so frustrating.

I hated humans.

They were too insensitive and only thought selfishly. Even ones such as Naruto- a selfless, courageous being- were just the same when it came to attachments- never wanting to let go. I didn't belong here.

And the Tsunade woman was merely digging the grave of her village by keeping me here. I really needed to disengage myself, but it was so hard when everywhere I went, they were always in danger.

I'd have to let them die next time.

The lesson had to be learned the hard way.

"Those are betraying eyes for someone who seemed so blatantly careless." Hearing his voice, I immediately brushed my face and regained my lined expression.

"Eavesdropping and spying are a little less than tactful, yes?" I cut my gaze to him, my lip quivering in annoyance. His form was finally noticeable in the shadows, his eye shielded once more. With a confidence of arrogant men, he strode over and leaned against the foot of the bed I was so graciously chained to.

"Let me guess, the Tsunade woman sent you to keep an eye on me as if the chains weren't good enough?" I commented dryly, casually turning my gaze to the side.