Reigning in Fate

"Not The Needle?" Kisame procured the device from his cloak once more to take a better look at the mechanism. It was all the woman had been mumbling about in her unconscious state. The blue man glanced at his partner, Itachi. The latter glanced up from the woman to also observe the slice of metal in his partner's hand. It resembled a senbon needle but was shorter and slightly thicker, as if to house a form of lesser substantiation.

He couldn't have been more correct.

"Hatake!" Like lightning, the woman shot from her rest against the ground, pushing herself to a sitting position. Her hand immediately covered her eyes, which had taken on a similarity to that of a snake's. "Mustn't look into my eyes. . ." She mumbled in a warning tone, facing away from the criminals that had shot to their own feet in prepared defense.

The air around her finally stilled, and she slowly turned to face them, a solemn look lining her face as rivulets of gold seeped from her normal eyes. She then caught sight of the mechanism in Kisame's hand, and her face paled in recognition.

"This," noticing her pallid fear, Kisame held it out, "what's so fascinating about it? Scared we'll call that devil of a beast out here to take care of your suicidal ass?" He spat venomously. Elvinia had yet to witness Kisame in an angry state. Least to say, she was highly unperturbed.

It was then she remembered. Why wasn't she dead? She recalled having the dagger, plunging it toward her gut, feeling bliss while falling out of the world. So why was she still here? Sensing her bewilderment, Itachi intervened on the conversation.

"I knocked you out." He offered monotonously, seemingly uncaring. It made sense as to why she wasn't wet at least. But Elvinia found herself so angry that a calmness stirred her insides.

"I can only go so far alone. But it seems having companions is a weakness in and of itself. Death is my only way of victory. It would have done us all a little good." She growled dangerously low, a baleful aura seeping around her. A glimmer of something gentle dotted Itachi's otherwise cold eyes as he glared down at the woman that had caused them so much trouble in only a couple of days.

"Well, that's not what we're here for. Answer the question." Kisame barked back, holding out The Needle once more. Elvinia sighed contemptuously, holding out her hand for the mechanism. Kisame rose a suspicious brow but dropped the slice of metal into her palm nonetheless. Immediately, her wrist jerked to the side, and the weapon flew toward a tree, impaling itself in an unsuspecting woodpecker.

The small, feathered animal screeched terribly, falling to the ground in a writhing heap. With puffy feathers, it whaled and trembled in pain, making Elvinia cringe in regret. But the point had to be made. Slowly, the bird's feathers fell to the ground, leaving a red, stressed skin behind. On the skin crawled lines of runes, wounding like a snake around the creature and gradually choking the life from its form. Finally, its cries lessened, and its trembling descended into stillness.

The poison had won.

Elvinia watched Kisame's jaw slacken from the distasteful clench it had been in during the disturbing scene. An incredulous look glinted in his eyes until he finally looked at the elf below him, her daunting eyes staring him down. In the least, he was highly perturbed.

"So the bastard meant to kill one of us?" He grumbled angrily, slightly seething at the prospect of dying without understanding. It was then a cackle broke the silence, and all attention was thwarted to the ethereal form of Vipirus.

He was nothing but air, odd vapors working together to form a wispy cloud of the diabolical elf. But his eyes were very substantial, burning holes through Elvinia's head.

"Don't be such a dramatic. You're much larger than this bird. It would have taken longer to spread, and I might've gotten here in time with the antidote." Vipirus winked playfully at the fuming Kisame. It seemed he had no concern for how murderous the blue man appeared.