Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I strolled into school the next morning happier than usual. I was thinking about Calum all last night. Even though our conversation barely lasted 5 minutes, it was very special to me. The way he looked at me. The way he said my name. I felt there was something behind it. Like maybe he had feelings for me too. He may not, but by the way he looked at me, I could tell there was still hope. 

"Someone looks awfully happy." Elliana chirped as I walked up to her locker, "Still thinking about your little encounter with Calum yesterday?"

I reached in her locker and pulled out the spare pack of gum she always keeps in there. I had told her about my conversation with Calum last night, "I'm telling you Ellie, these next two months might be different. You had to be there. You should have seen the way he looked at me. He might like me back." The thought of him liking me back gave me butterflies in my stomach. The good kind though. 

"I still think there is a better guy out there for you," She commented as she slammed her locker shut.

"C'mon El. You know I really like him. I've been trying to get him to notice me for 14 years and he finally did. I am not going to give up now." I said.

"Okay..." She sighed, as we started walking down the hall towards our class. "So you remember how I was supposed to stay at my neighbor Aimee's house this weekend becos' my parents are going out of town." 

I nodded as we took our seats in the back of the classroom as usual.

"Well her brother Chad is one year younger than us, and he's having a huge open house party friday night and the whole entire school is invited. Their parents will be out of town too."

"I don't think its a good idea." I replied honestly. My mum would kill me if she found out I went to an open house party. Plus I've heard about previous ones and they always ended up being broken up by the cops.

"Oh come on Val. This is our last year of high school and we haven't been to one party yet. It'll be fun. And Aimee, who is very responsible might I add, will be there and I know she won't let things get too out of hand." Ellie assured me. She was right. It was our last year of high school and we hadn't been to one party. I don't want to graduate looking like a total loser.

"I guess I'll go." I finally gave in.

"Yay!" She coo'd clapping her hands together as we both turned our attention to the front of the room where our teacher was about to begin the lesson.

The rest of the week passed by in a breeze and before I knew it Friday was finally here. I went shopping earlier that day and bought a new outfit. My casual attire of a hoodie, sweatpants, and converse was not going to cut it. I slipped on a sleeveless beige top, and some silky, leather leggings. I curled the ends of my hair and topped it off with some pink lip gloss and mascara. Finally I slipped on my new black studded steve madden boots and stepped in front of the mirror. The girl I saw in the mirror looked completely different. But I kind of liked this new Valerie. The bold and confident Valerie. I smiled contently before heading down stairs.

I tip toed towards the front door and just as I was about to turn the handle I was caught.

"Where do you think you're going?" My mother spoke, followed by her foot steps as she was soon standing right next to me. 

"I'm going to a party with Ellie," I informed her.

"Valerie..." She warned.

"Mum it's a friday night and I never go to parties. Plus there will be a responsible adult supervising the whole party." I explained.