Chapter 22

Chapter 22

***Valerie's POV***

"Oh uh this..." I mumble slightly, my gaze falling to the floor, "this is my boyfriend."

Boyfriend. The word echoes through my mind, as I mentally repeat it over and over. It sounds weird coming out of my mouth but it does have a nice ring to it. I'm still not used to the fact that I am in a relationship. At first I was hesitating even calling Adam my boyfriend, he only asked me out yesterday afternoon. We haven't even been dating for a full day so I'm still not accustomed to using the term "boyfriend."I mean I myself am pretty surprised by the fact that I have a boyfriend, but Calum seems to be just as shocked as I am, because his eyes look like they are going to fall out of his head.

"Oh um Calum, this is Adam," I quickly blurt, realizing that introducing them is probably a good idea. Calum hesitantly reaches his hand out, Adam shaking it abruptly, shaking Calum right out of his state of shock, "So anyway what's up?" I quickly change the subject.

"Um I just wanted to see if you were busy today, but I guess you are, so it's fine," his face falls slightly, and he almost seems to be crushed. I mean I know he wants to make an attempt at being friends but he doesn't have to make that face and make me feel bad.

"Wait," I stop him as he begins to open up the door, "We were just gonna go to the mall, you can come if you want,"

"Sure," Calum replies, his mood changing completely.

"Valerieeee," Adam whines, clearly signaling that he did not want Calum to come, but I ignore the remark

However Calum doesn't ignore the comment his face falling once again, "Actually, I can't. I forgot I have to work on a project,"

I could clearly tell he didn't have a project to work on. I don't know if it was Adam's comment or just the fact that Adam is my boyfriend in general that makes him uncomfortable, but something is definitely different with him, "Okay well maybe next time then,"

"Sure," He lets out a sigh, before backing out of the room without making eye contact.

My stare doesn't move from the door as it closes behind him. I try to clear my thoughts of Calum completely, but the reason for his sudden change in attitude around me is still a mystery. Me and him have finally decided to leave the past behind us and become friends. It hasn't even been two weeks and he is already acting so distant?

"Ready to go?" Adam's voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Ohh uh sure," I respond as I get up from my bed, but for some reason I can't seem to move my gaze away from the door. I am too deep in thought.

"Are you okay Valerie?" Adam asks as I continue to stare blankly at the door.

"Yeah yeah I'm fine," I reassure him, running my hand through my hair in frustration. Did Calum seriously have to do this? This year had been great so far. I finally have a boyfriend, an internship, I'm doing good in school, I have a lot more freedom and independence, and best of all, I have finally become friends with Calum. Well had become friends with Calum. Everything was going great and he just had to go ruin it. Does he have something against me? Does he not want me to have a boyfriend? Does he not want to be friends anymore? Does he not want to me to be happy?

Back in high school I feel like I made a big deal about wanting to have a boyfriend. But now that I have one it isn't as thrilling and satisfying as I thought it would be. It's not that I don't like Adam because I do, it's just that in high school it's not just a boyfriend that I wanted. I wanted Calum.

But now that I'm over him, all I wanted was to be friends. Of course after the whole thing happened at prom, I hated him. But after running into him at the campus meeting greet and expressing all the hatred I had to him, I realized that moving on was the best thing to do, and that the best thing for the both of us was to become friends. I mean fate obviously lead us both here to meet up again. So it's fate for us to be friends, right?

**Calum's POV**

Boyfriend? A fucking boyfriend? Everything works out just great for you doesn't it Calum?

Now I'm talking to myself? I think I'm going crazy.

Okay, I'm not going crazy, I'm just crazy about her. Yeah, it's cheesy, but I don't care.

I wait till I exit the building in which her dorm is in before punching the wall in anger. I act before thinking and realize that the wall I had just punched is made of brick. My hand begins to throb in pain. I get awkward stares from a few people walking by, but I don't care. I ignore them as I try to shake the stinging sensation out of my hand before walking away.

The worst part besides the fact that she has a fucking boyfriend, is that I think her fucking boyfriend hates me. Which means their gonna be hanging out all the time and he won't want me hanging around.

Being able to become friends with Valerie is great, but It's not enough for me. I want more, I need more.

Ughhh this is so frustrating. I bet she isn't even half as frustrated by this situation as I am. She's probably out having a wonderful time with her fucking boyfriend, while I'm walking all alone, constantly thinking about this girl who probably forgot that I even exist at this moment.

Fate brought us both to this school not for us to become friends, but to give me a second chance. A chance to make up for being a jerk. A chance to realize my feelings for Valerie. A chance to make this up to Valerie. A chance to make her mine.

I have been given this second chance, but I didn't take it. Well I didn't take it in time. This opportunity I just had was definitely not my first chance to tell Valerie how I feel about her. My first chance was 2 months ago, at prom. When I put Valerie on the spot. When I singled her out in front of the whole entire school. That was my chance to tell her that I liked her too, but I didn't take it because I was a coward.

Now fate has brought us to meet again, giving me a second chance. But this time I wasn't a coward. This time I was too late.