Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Calum? Calum of all people? I'm trying move on from him and of course he has to end up being my project partner. It's like the universe wants me to keep chasing this boy, hoping he'll like me back even though he never will.

I make my way to the back of the class and slump down in my seat. I zoned out during the remainder of class. My morning started out really shitty and clearly it's not getting any better. When the bell finally rings I slowly make my way back to my locker before gym, which is another negative part of my day. I make sure to take extra time obviously in no rush at all to get to class.

"Hey partner," a cheerful voice comes from behind. Calum pops his up beside me. I glance at him with a blank expression, before turning back to my locker, "Umm," he continues looking slightly hurt, "I came in late but Mr. Roberts told me that we're partners for the project due on Friday,"

"Mhmm," I nod slightly as I close my locker and begin to walk in the other direction towards class. He doesn't follow at first but after a second he he jogs to catch up with me.

"So we only have a week, when do you want to work on the project?" I can feel his gaze on me but I continue walking without eye contact as he walks beside me. So he's not going to apologize for what he did he just wants to talk about the stupid project. I shrug my shoulders and continue to walk, "How's today after school?" He suggests.

What I wanted to say was 'Why? So you can try to set me up with a 14 year old again?' But instead I just gave him a simple 'okay'

"So meet me in the school library at three?" He asks and I nod in reply as I turn into the gym leaving him there in the hall.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

When the bell rings at the end of the day even though I shouldn't be rushing to meet Calum, I am. Getting over him will not be as easy as I had hoped. I put all the books I need in my bag and make my way to the library. When I get there at 5 after 3 I realize Calum isn't there yet. I figure he's just running late, so I take a seat at an empty table. I quickly send my mum a text letting her know I am staying after school to work on a project. I try to keep my excitement to myself, but I can't help but smile like every two seconds. I am basically going on a date with Calum, a study date, but still. I check my phone to see if my mum had replied and noticed already half an hour had passed and no sign of Calum. Half an hour soon turned into an hour. I sat there alone, my finger tapping against the desk, watching people pass by. People who's project partners had actually shown up. I decide that I might as well get a start on the project. Mr. Roberts informed us that we hadn't done enough projects this year so he wanted to add one at the end of the year that would be fun. We have to write a short story which isn't exactly my idea of fun. I start jotting down words, random words, seeing if I could make any use out of them.

annoyed                                                                                                                                                             used                                                                                                                                                              unwanted                                                                                                                                                             stupid                                                                                                                                                                   naive                                                                                                                                                                heartbroken 

I remove my pen from the paper and read over the words, only to realize those words describe exactly how I'm feeling. I rip the piece of paper out of my notebook and crumple it up into a ball. I toss it towards the garbage can across the room hoping to throw my anger away with it. But it doesn't work when the paper ball lands right in front of the trash can. I trudge myself over to the other side of the room lazily picking up the ball and putting it in the garbage can. 

"I'm sorry dear but it's 5:00, we have to close down now," A frail old women informs me. I look around the room to see that me and the librarian are the only people still in the library. I nod and briefly get my things together, making my way down the hall. How stupid was I to think he'd actually show up. I mean he's the one who told me to meet him in the library, and then I end up sitting there alone for 2 hours. I was so lost in thought that I wasn't looking where I was going and slammed right into someone as I turned the corner of the hall. I land right on my bum and he starts to laugh until his chocolate brown eye meet mine and he freezes in his place. I look to his friend he's with which happens to be Harrison. He's still wearing that amused smirk and I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't left his face once since Saturday night. I can't help but stare at Calum who happens to be in a jersey and really short shorts and he looks so hot that I'm beginning to suffer from anxiety.

"Aww did Victor get a little boo boo on her bum?" Harrison mocks as he continues down the hall. I roll my eyes and then lift myself up dusting my clothes off from the dirty floor. 

"Valerie..." Calum mutters. I look at him waiting for him to continue as I grab my bag that had also fallen to the floor, "I'm sorry. I had soccer practice. I forgot I was supposed to meet you to work on the project." His eyes are full of hope, I guess he's hoping that I won't be even more pissed at him than I already am.

"It's fine Calum, I'll just finish the project myself and put your name on it," I state simply before continuing past him down the hall.

"No," He says firmly grabbing my arm. I hadn't felt the spark his touch supplies in forever and I had been longing for it. Actually I felt it just this saturday but two days feels like forever with the electricity that I feel whenever Calum touches me. Whether its for a second or longer I still feel the same magic everytime. I turn to face him and surprisingly he doesn't remove his hand from my arm. I smile a little as he strong grip remains firm around my upper arm, "I want to help you with the project," He takes his other hand to scratch the back of his neck as he does every single freakin time he talks to me, his gaze shifting to the floor, "I feel like I've kind of been an ass hole, and I wanna make it up to you," a grin spreads across my face at his choice of words as he shifts his gaze back into my eyes letting me know he's serious, "I will work with you on the project after school for the next three days, and I promise to show up on time. Actually, forget on time, I'll show up early. I'll get there before you do. I promise you, I will be the best project partner you ever had," 

"Okay," Is all I can manage to say, not able to wipe the grin off my face. He looks so relieved, as he flashes me his perfect smile. He realizes that he's still holding my arm so he let's go and starts walking backwards down the hall. 

"Okay well, I'll meet you in the library tomorrow," He tells me, tripping over his feet a little bit. I can't help but giggle a little, causing him to smile, "I'll see you tomorrow Valerie," He says with a grin as he continues down the hall.