Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Another boring week of school flew by and before I knew it, it was already Friday. This week was slightly different though. Ellie hadn't come up to my locker once this week. I feel like I rarely see her, and whenever I see her all I hear is 'Chad' 'Omg Chad' 'Did I tell you what Chad did for me' 'isn't Chad just the cutest' I am happy that she is pleased with her relationship as a best friend should be. But it's gotten to the point where she basically ignores me. I've turned into her 2nd option. She only wants to hang out with me when Chad isn't around.

"Hey," Ellie's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Oh hi," I smile as she sits in the seat next to me,

"So how's your week been? I feel like I barely got to see you," She says, her tone not as cheerful as usual.

"It's been good I guess. Do you maybe wanna come over after school today?" I ask even though I know what her response will be.

"Sorry, I'm going to Chad's house," She replies, just as expected, "But he is going away for the weekend. We could hang out tomorrow,"

"Okay...wait I can't I have a party," I'm not really used to having a social life. I'm so used to just saying yes whenever Ellie asks to hang out so this is weird for me.

"Like a family party?" She asks, clearly confused.

"No, someone from school's," I reply confidently.

"You got invited to someone from school's party?" She asks in a way where she thinks I am joking.

"Yeah, why? Is it a problem that I got invited to a party?" Ellie knows that she isn't popular as do I, so she always tries to look like she's the more popular one out of the two of us, when I on the other hand don't really care.

"No. Who's party?"

"Harrison Williams," I inform her making it seem like it is no big deal. She is aware that Harrison is one of the most popular boys in school.

"Harrison invited you to his party?" I could tell she really didn't believe me.

"Well he didn't." I reply honestly

"Then who did?"

"Calum."

"Calum invited you?" She wasn't even happy for me, and I could tell in her voice. She was clearly jealous.

"Yeah," I shrugged

"Oh," She says as she turns towards the board at the front of the classroom, "So you two talk a lot now?"

"Not really. Just more than we used to," I don't understand why she is jealous. She get's a thousand times more attention from her boyfriend then I have ever gotten from a boy. If anything I should be jealous of her. Well I am, but I don't let jealousy get the best of me.

"I don't think its a good idea for you to go to that party. It could end just as badly as the last one did," She mumbles without making eye contact.

"Ellie are you jealous that I got invited to a party?"

She looks at me like I just insulted her, "Seriously you think I'm jealous?"

"Well I don't know, but you're not being very nice about this whole thing,"

"I'm not being being nice?" She almost yells, annoyance present in her tone, "You're the one who's ditching me to go to some party with people who you aren't even friends with,"

"Elliana I've tried to reach out to several times this week. You haven't answered my texts you've ignored my calls, and you barely even talked to me at all. You're telling me that I'm the one that's not being nice? I turned you down one time compared to the twenty times you turned me down this week.

"So...now I am asking you to hang out and you're turning me down to go to some party with random people. They don't even like you. They're going to make fun of you. And worst of all you're going for some stupid boy that you're obsessed with. Valerie, he doesn't like you. He never has and he never will!"

Her words give me the same feeling I would get if she ripped my heart out of my chest, threw it on the ground, and stomped on it. She's supposed to be my best friend, and she's telling me that I'm the one obsessed with a boy. She doesn't stop talking about Chad. This is one of the first conversations we had where she only mentioned Chad's name once. I turn away from her and cross my arms across my chest. If we didn't have assigned seats I would have moved.

The rest of the day dragged on, and I was feeling more lonely than ever. I had to go eat lunch in the library because Elliana was eating with Chad and his friends. Elliana was really my only friend and now I don't even have her.

I was so relieved when period 9 finally came to an end, even though it was my favourite class I was just so glad to finally get out of school. Once the bell rang I practically jumped out of my seat and ran for the door,

"Valerie can you please stay a moment?" I turn to see my music teacher standing right behind me. I nod and walk towards his desk, worried that I am in trouble or something.

"I just wanted to let you know that the amount of progress you have made in my class these past 4 years is phenomenal. You have really improved. You are a very talented girl and I believe you have a bright future ahead of you,"

I smile widely at his words, "Thank you Mr. Cannon,"

"Wait there's more," He continues, "My brother is a professor at VCA in melbourne and I put in a very good word with him about you. Good luck at your audition next weekend,"

"Thank you so much Mr. Cannon, I don't know what to say," I am so happy I can't even speak.

"Your welcome dear. Enjoy your weekend,"

"You too," I smile before walking out of the classroom and to my bus.

"Valerie you're just in time," My mother says as I close the front door behind me, "That bathroom isn't going to clean itself," She walks past to me towards the front door, "And if that bathroom isn't clean when I get back you won't be going to your audition next week," She smiles before slamming the door behind her.

And just when I thought this day couldn't get any worse, it does. I can't risk missing my audition next weekend so I head upstairs and do just as my mother says.

I look at the clock to read that its already 5. I've been doing this for 2 hours and I'm barely half way done. I continue scrubbing the floor when my phone vibrates in my back pocket.

I pull it out and when the name Cal appears on the screen my heart flutters.

Party starts at 8 tomorrow, on 44 Angel Pl xx

I was so happy I couldn't even reply. He actually texted me. No matter what, I'm not going to believe what Ellie said.

Just because he hasn't always felt about me the way I have about him doesn't mean he never will.