Chapter 24

Chapter 24

**Valerie's POV**

"Can we talk?" I ask, smiling warmly at him as he slowly nods his head in reply. I wasn't lying when I said I was hoping to run into him, I really do need to talk to him. After thinking thoroughly about this whole situation the whole entire time I was out with Adam, I realized that I really do love being friends with Calum. These past 2 weeks of us becoming friends has been the happiest two weeks for me, and I hope for him as well. I don't want that to all be thrown away for some just cause I have a boyfriend. I mean Calum obviously isn't jealous of Adam, he couldn't be. I assume that he is just worried that Adam is going to come between our friendship, as am I. So, I assumed the best way to work things out is to just talk to him.

"Were you feeling okay earlier? You were acting kind of distant?" I try my best to word it so that he see's that I care about him and still want to remain friends, rather than just coming out and asking if he's mad that I had a boyfriend.

The question seems to make him uncomfortable as he moves his gaze to the floor, "Uhh yeah, It's just I got like no sleep the night before, so I was totally out of it today,"

"Calum, you can be honest with me," I know him well enough now to know that when he doesn't make eye contact, he's lying.

"I am being hon-"

"Calum," I stop him from finishing his statement. I am not going to believe his story, because him being tired is always his excuse for everything and because I really want to know what's up with him.

"Fine, it's just that..." He pauses for a moment, and it is clear to me that he is very uncomfortable and unsure of how to reply. I don't want him to feel that way. We're friends now, it should be easy for him to talk to me, "I mean I'm totally fine with you having a boyfriend, it's just that I don't think he likes me very much,"

"Calum, you two don't even know each other," I pointed out, "But I'm sure if you did get to know each other, you two would like each other,"

"I guess you're right," He admits, still without making eye contact,

"I just wanted to talk to you cause I thought you like hated me or something," I chuckle slightly, realizing that I was worried for nothing.

"Hated you?" Calum retorted, finally looking me in the eyes, "I don't hate you, why would I hate you?" His words are rushed and for some reason seem to have a worried tone to them.

"I don't know, that's why I came to talk to you." I explain, but the worried expression doesn't seem to disappear from his face, "But I'm glad to know that everything is fine," I add in, and he begins to look a bit more relieved, as he nods in agreement. I am glad things are okay between us because I do love being friends with Calum, and I don't want things to change, "Well I should probably go work on my project now, are you sure you don't want to come hang with us in Luke and Michael's room?"

He yawns quietly, and I can't deny that he looks so incredibly adorable when he yawns, "Yeah I really need some rest,"

"Okay, well I'll see you later Cal," I send him a warm smile before snaking my arms around his waist. I just want to let him know that I appreciate him and love being friends with him, but he seems to get the message when he wraps his arms back around me. I tighten my grip for a brief second, before pulling away. I smile at him one last time, before turning around and heading towards Luke and Michael's dorm.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

The next morning the nauseating ringing of my alarm fills my ears. I wish I had remembered to turn it off, because I truly hate getting up early, especially on a Sunday.

I turn over on my side and drowsily reach for the light switch for the lamp sitting on the night table next to my bed and flick it on. It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the light.

I hear Susan groan loudly from her bed on the opposite side of the room, "Can you turn that damn thing off, I'm trying to sleep,"

Not wanting to hear anymore of her complaining, I quickly grab my phone on the side table and flick the light switch off. When I go to turn my alarm I off, it comes to my attention that it's already 8:00 and that the ringing is coming from a call from Calum, not my alarm. I quietly roll out of bed, slide on my ugg slippers and tip-toe outside.

"Hello?" I speak into the phone, my voice still groggy from my slumber.

"Hey, meet me at the parking lot at the west side of campus at 9,"

"For what?" I ask. I know it's already 8 in the morning, but it is too early for my brain to comprehend anything right now,

"It's a surprise,"

"Uhh okay," I reply unsurely.

"And where something comfortable. Like shorts and a tank top," He added,

"Umm why?" I retorted, a sassy tone present in my voice. Which was strange cause I am not typically the "sassy" type.

"You'll see," He chuckles before hanging up. Since I have nothing else to do this morning, I decide to trudge myself back into my dorm and throw on a black tank top and some grey Sophie shorts. Adam said he'd be busy until 2, so I thought I might as well go find out whatever this 'surprise' Calum has planned for me is. After loosely throwing my hair into a high ponytail and washing up, I head for the coffee shop for some breakfast, leaving Susan loudly snoring alone in our dorm.

As soon as the tiny bell rings when I open the door, a coffee and cinnamon aroma fills the air. I make my way to the cashier and order a chocolate chip muffin and ice coffee.

"Hey Valerie," I hear a husky voice come from behind me as I hand money to the cashier. I turn around to see a pink-haired Michael, wearing a smirk across his face.

"Michael, hi," I say grabbing my change from the woman behind the counter, before completely turning to face him, "What are you doing here?"

"Getting breakfast," He replies simply as he walks up to the cashier and orders the same thing as I did. "Would you like to join me?" He asks as the woman behind the counter hands us our orders.

I quickly check my phone to see that it's only 8:30, so I still have time before I have to meet Calum. "Sure," I respond with a smile as we both take our seats at a table set for two at the back of the building.

"I think I'm gonna dye my hair again," Michael declares as he takes a bite of his muffin.

"Michael you basically just dyed it" I remind him.

"Yeah but I want to change the color, I just don't know what color yet," He spoke between chews. we had barely been sitting for 5 minutes and he is already half way done with his muffin, and I couldn't help but giggle slightly to myself.

"Have I ever told you that your hair is going to fall out," I question, letting the cold ice coffee slide down my throat, shaking away any drowsiness that was left in me.

"Yeah everyone tells me that. But you're the only one who reminds me everyday," He laughs and I join in, "Oh hey," He begins before taking a sip of his coffee, "How are things with you and Calum?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, confusion clear in my tone. Does Calum tell everything that happens between me and him to Michael? Plus there isn't anything to tell, nothing really happened between me and Calum, we just talked. I thought something had happened but I was just worried about nothing.