Chapter 36

Chapter 36

**Valerie’s POV**

“What the hell is he doing on the roof?” My voice booms in Harrison’s direction, however is barely audible over the blasting speakers.

“I don’t know. He probably got up onto that ledge over there and climbed onto the roof. How the hell should I know? I didn’t think he needed a fucking babysitter!” Harrison throws his arm in the air for emphasis. He appears to be the only other person at this party who isn’t extremely intoxicated at the moment.

“Well, what did you give him?” I speak shortly, my gaze traveling to Calum’s innocent, tired face before finding it’s way back to Harrison. It didn’t take a lot of knowledge to know that Calum didn’t climb on to the roof and fell asleep because he simply felt like it. Danielle mentioned that everyone hated Calum. He probably intended on only having one drink, and someone most likely slipped something into it as a practical joke. But this was way past funny.

“I think Rich slipped a couple ecstasy tabs into his drink.” He shrugs, like it’s no big deal. Meanwhile it’s a huge deal. And who the hell is Rich?

“Okay we just need to figure out how to get him off the roof, that’s our main priority right now.” I scratch my head, thinking of the best possible solution to this problem, “How about you go up onto the ledge and climb onto the roof and then we-“

“I am not climbing onto the roof,” He cuts me off, shaking his head from side to side.

“Why not?” I scoff, getting annoyed by his stubbornness. Calum could wake up and roll off that roof any minute, we really didn’t have time to get sidetracked.

“Because, I don’t want to die.” He retorts, crossing his arms across his chest, “You can climb up onto the roof and push him towards the ledge and me and a couple other guys will help pull him down.”

“So it’s okay for me to go onto the roof, and not y-“ I begin to argue back, before reminding myself there is no time to waste, “You know what, fine. I’ll go up there, just help me up.”  We both elbow our way through the rowdy crowd, till we get to the ledge. I clamber up on top of it, Harrison as well before he grabs firmly onto my waist and hoists me up onto the roof.

I get on my hands and knees, beginning to inch my way towards Calum. I look down at the huge amount of people that fill my backyard, who appear distinctively smaller than they did before.

I cautiously make my way over to where Calum lays peacefully. Moving my right hand. Then my left knee. Then my left hand. Then my right knee. I repeat this process till I finally reach Calum. I sit a minute figuring how I’m going to pull Calum all the way down the roof towards the ledge. I could barely lift a suitcase off my bed, pulling a full-grown boy down a roof is going to be a challenge. I rest the back of my hand of his forehead, his skin icy cold, his face paler than usual.

I position myself next to him, wrapping my arm around his torso for support, I struggle to raise his upper body. When I finally do, all his weight leans against my weak arm, his head falling gently against mine. A small smile finds its way onto my face. This is so weird yet so comfortable, my emotions are too mixed right now to think straight.

Slowly I begin to scoot down towards the edge of the roof, dragging Calum’s body along with me, to right above where the ledge sits. Harrison and a couple boys wait for me to bring Calum down. Whoever those boys are, one of them better not be Rich, because as soon as I do find Rich, I’m going to slap him.

Once we reach the end of the roof, our legs dangling over the edge, two of the boys hold on two his legs and begin to gently pull him down, while Harrison and another boy grab on to his back and rest him down on a chair on the back deck.