Dont Forget About Me

Evan and I are FaceTiming and we're talking about his latest crush. He's admitted to liking me before and now he says he still likes me but he likes Ashley more. Evan and I are best friends and we're close. I don't know why I'm jealous that he likes Ashley more than me. I don't like him back its just that I guess I got so used to him only liking me. The thing I'm most afraid of is that if they start going out that he'll forget about me. And without Evan I'm basically friendless. It's always just been Evan and I. No one else. Maybe I have a bit of petty jealousy just knowing that he can be taken from me. As Evan and I hang up on FaceTime I go to sleep thinking the worst, that Evan will ditch me for Ashley.
The next day Evan comes over like usual. It's Saturday morning and we always go to Starbucks then hangout at one of our houses. "So Ashley. What's up with her?" Evan blushes and that means that he's finally done it. "I asked her out. She said yes." My jaw drops. So this is really it. "Wow. Congrats, Ev. That's great." That was all a lie. I didn't want them to be together. I just wanted Evan to myself. We go back to my house when Evan gets a text from Ashley saying that she wants him to go over to her house. "Do you mind if I ditch today? Ashley... She wants to hang out." Of course. "Sure. Have fun."
Ok. Maybe I do like Evan. But I never admitted to it because I don't want to date anyone while I'm in high school. I need to focus on my grades to get into a good college then once I join a college I can finally have some fun. But I'm starting to realize what I've let slip through my fingers. Evan is my best friend and I love him so much and he loves me but I never took the chance because if my stupid No-Dating rule. Dammit! I start on some homework that in Saturday mornings Evan and I do together. Whatever. I'd rather stick to my rule and respect myself then ditch it all for some boy. But he's not some boy. He's Evan. And I love Evan he's my best friend. I need to stop thinking about this. I need to study and do homework.
    Two hours later of stuffing and doing work I have to go to my job at the diner. It's some old run down place that only old people or high schoolers go cuz it's cheap and everyone likes burgers and milkshakes. At around my 11th customer I see Evan and Ashley walk in and sit down in a booth towards the back of the restaurant. Shit. That's my section I'm waiting on. I'll just have to deal. "What can I start you guys off with to drink?" I ask Evan and Ashley holding my note pad and pen. "I'll take a strawberry lemonade," said Ashley. "And I'll take my regular." Evan said and winked at me. I smiled and walked away but as soon as my back was turned I rolled my eyes. I brought out a strawberry lemonade and a chocolate shake with raspberry syrup for Evan. I wish I'd spit in it. I set them on the table then took they're orders. After they left I collected the bill and the money. Evan wrote a note that said she is really into me.
    Whatever. I went home and when i pulled up to my driveway Evan was waiting on the step to my house. "Hey." I nod my head at him and walk into my house and he follows. "Ashley is so amazing. She's funny and smart and pretty and so nice." He starts talking but I don't listen.  He's flopped on my couch. I set down my bag and start counting my tips from today. I worked 6 hours and I made 70 dollars in tips. I do the math in my head 70 plus 10G and then some. That's all the money I've saved myself for college. I started saving my babysitting money when I was 13 holding onto a dream to get away from my screwed up family. Of course my parents are saving money, too but I just want to insure that by the end of my senior year I'll have somewhere to go.
   "Y/N? You listening?" I shake my head and out my money away. "I really don't feel like listening to you right now, Evan." He stands up and follows me into my room. "Why not? She's great?" I shrug and put my things into my closet and take my shoes off. "Y/N?"
    "Do you still have feelings for me? Do you still love me as more than a friend?" He slowly nods his head. I roll my eyes. It's just not fair. For anyone. "Evan. That's not fair for Ashley. Ok? If you still have feelings for me why're you with her?" He sits down on my bed and sighs. "Y/N I'm just trying to get over you since you don't feel the same way. I thought that's what you wanted. For me to move on because of your whole rule about no dating in high school. What did I do wrong?" I sit next to him and grab his hand. "I don't know. I just let you go. I feel the same way about you but I just always wanted to stick to my stupid rule but now you're dating Ashely and yea I know I mean it's been less than a day but still and I shouldn't even be saying any of this because-" he cuts me off and kisses me. "No. You should've told me a long time ago. And who cares. Ashley can find someone else."