Is Loyalty A Good Thing?

"Just let her go! She doesn't deserve you. The more you hang on the more you will get hurt."

It's taken me 3 years to finally listen. Or at least I'm starting to listen.

The one promise that I will always make is that I will always be there for my friends. Catherine has made this same promise to me but had broken it many time. She has hurt me and somehow we have managed to repair our relationship, many times over. But sooner or later there's a relapse.

Right now we're on good terms. I'm not sure how long that will last though. I know that sooner or later she'll get mad at me for something again. I'm not gonna try to get her to like me anymore. I just want her to be nice to me. Half the time she is, and other times she isn't.

I used to think I knew her. But now that I'm seeing how she is changing, I'm realizing that I don't know her so well. She's a wild card anymore. It's tough to read her.

But despite all of the things she's done recently, I'll still be her for her. Even if she never has a need for me again, I'll be here. If she does come to me, I'll welcome her with an open heart. I have never been able to turn away from someone who is/was such a big part of my life. I don't think I could ever find it in my heart to do something like that.

I know that hanging on will just cause me more pain, but that's okay. Just because someone is neglecting me doesn't mean I have to do the same thing back. I will always be kind, or try to at least.

I will always be loyal to my friends. But is that good, or bad?