Chapter 1: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

I wiped sweat off my palms. I watched dirt rub onto my pants. I groaned. I washed my clothes yesterday!

I sighed as I exited the soup kitchen. I had become a regular and the staff all knew me by name at this point. I carried home the food that I hoped would be enough for everyone, especially for my five year old sister. She was still growing and, in my opinion, needed the food more than me.

I looked up. There were several people pointing at me and trying to hide their disgust. I hunched my shoulders and kept walking. I hadn't had a proper shower in weeks. My hair was oily and braided with grime.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a young man, studying me thoughtfully. Dark ebony hair fell into his emerald green eyes. Long lashes brushed against the tops of his angular cheekbones, as he nodded to someone in the crowd around me.

Ignoring the extremely good-looking man, I walked over to the abandoned house that served as my home.

Pushing open the door, I walked in. My book bag lay on the floor next to the chair my dad sat on. The bathroom door lay on my left. That was the only thing in the room.

My father rose from his chair. I smiled weakly at him. "Hi, Dad."

"Did you get any food?" He asked abruptly.

I nodded. "Yeah! Hopefully, it'll be enough."

He nodded thoughtfully. "I sent your brother and sister out. Logan and Ellie are bound to get something."

I turned to the bathroom and washed my face with ice cold water. Not having the courage to face myself in the mirror, I went back to my father, who was wringing his hands nervously.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Is something wrong?"

He sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

"Victoria," He began, "I love you."

I gave him a confused look. "I love you too."

Dad nodded. "When I tell you this, let me finish, okay?"

I nodded.

"That man that was here yesterday was Liam Santiago."

"Jake Santiago's father," I whispered.

Dad shot me a look. I quickly shut my mouth.

"I owe him money from 3 years ago," he continued. "I don't have the money.

"He told me that he would make the four of us work until my debt was paid off."

I nodded understandingly.

"As an alternative, he said that if you agree to be Jake's fake fiancée, we would be free. Even give us money to help us live a better life. So I told him you would do it. Liam is coming to pick you up and take you to Jake."

I stared at the man in front of me that I had called my dad. "Are you done?"

He nodded.

"How dare you? You didn't ask me. And now I'm supposed to be some bastard's wife? There's a reason he can't keep a girlfriend for more than a month. And I'm supposed to marry him?" I screamed.

My father winced. "I'm doing this for you!"

"For me? For ME? How are you doing this for me?"

"You'll get to live a good life. You'll be able to attend college, get clean clothes and have a nice home."

"I don't care! I am not going to marry a man I do not know."

"It is a fake marriage. Liam will explain the terms."

I glared at him. "I hate you."

He flinched. "Think of your siblings. This will be good for them. At least do it for them."

I thought it over. I would be helping my siblings. That was good.

I slumped my shoulders in defeat. "Fine," I snapped.

"Good choice." A voice rumbled behind me.

I quickly spun around. Two men in dark black suits stood in the doorway. Sunglasses covered their eyes.

"Where's Liam?" My father asked.

The man on the right turned to my father. "She will meet with him in the house."

I glanced back at my father. "Tell Logan and Ellie I said goodbye." 

Dad nodded. "I love you, sweetheart."

I scoffed. "Good for you."

The man on the left smirked. "Miss Hale, this way please."

Without glancing at my father, I stormed past the men and to the limo waiting outside. As I waited for the men to catch up, I found myself remembering my mom. I had to do this for her children.

I was marrying Jake Santiago, one of the richest men in the world. I would be exposed to the press after 3 years. I remembered my mom giving me etiquette lessons.

Time to put them to good use.

I straightened my back when the men approached.

"Get in." One of them ordered.

I cocked my head. "Aren't you going to open the door for me?"

He chuckled. "You're definitely going to put Mr. Santiago in his place." He opened the door. "After you, miss."

I gave him a small nod, before climbing into the car.

I've sold myself to the Devil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Was that any good? Please excuse any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.

So. What do you think Jake will be like?

Hope you liked it. If you did, please vote and comment.

~Sazeda