Chapter 37: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

I couldn't bring myself to hate him and that angered me the most.

I had promised myself and him that I wouldn't hold a grudge but I wanted to so bad. I wanted to feel the hot fire run through my veins at the sound of his name. I wanted to feel that monster inside of me rear up and snap whenever I thought of him.

He had done this to me. He had done this when he chose his ex girlfriend over me.

"You'll be fine in California all alone?" Logan asked for the umpteenth time.

I smiled. "You don't have to worry about me so much. You're my little brother, I'm supposed to be worried about you."

He grinned and ruffled my hair. "You have nothing to worry about. I can take care of our little family until you get back."

I pulled him into a tight hug. He stiffened before slowly relaxing into my arms. One of his hands came up to my head. "I'll miss you," I whispered.

"I'll miss you too." His voice was uncharacteristically soft as he spoke to me. He was always so gentle with me and Elizabeth.

"Vicki!" A small voice exclaimed before clamping onto my legs.

My beautiful little sister Elizabeth hung onto my legs for dear life. I leaned down and picked her up. She immediately wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and buried her face in my shoulder.

"Oh, honey, I'll see you again," I said softly.

She pulled back to look at me. She didn't look like any of us. She had inherited my father's blond hair and my mother's brown eyes. Although some of our features were similar, we didn't look as close as Logan and I.

"You can't go!" She whined.

"I have to, darling. I'll be back soon. I'll see you again," I reassured her.

"No!" She cried out, hugging me again.

"Elizabeth." I pulled away to look her in the eye. "You need to be a big girl, okay? I will call you every day and it will be like I'm right here. You don't have to miss me. Focus on kindergarten. Listen to Logan and Dad." I stroked my thumb across her cheek. "I'll miss you."

I could see the tears forming in her eyes that she tried to desperately hold back. "I'll miss you too, Vicki."

"Okay, Ellie, come here." Logan stepped forward and took Elizabeth from me and rested her on his hip.

"Victoria." My father's voice was quiet as he hobbled forward.

I swallowed harshly. I still wasn't okay with how he had practically sold me to the Santiagos, but I couldn't be angry. If that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have been able to attend the university of my dreams. If that hadn't happened I wouldn't have found the friends that I did.

If that hadn't happened, I would've never realized how in love I was with him.

I gave him a small smile. "Dad." I hugged him gently. "I'll see you soon. Logan will be here to help you through everything."

"I know. I want you to do everything possible to keep yourself safe, okay? I don't like seeing my daughter in pain." He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

I bit my tongue to keep myself from saying anything I would regret. It was better to work towards a good relationship with my father and not hold grudges for something I hadn't come to mind.

"I'll look out for myself," I promised him. I turned my head to look at Logan. "And you already know your son will have guards following my ass."

Logan shrugged. "I don't know about your ass. If they get that close to you, they might find a bullet in their head."