Chapter 28: Jake

[JAKE]

When I came to, I found myself strapped to a chair in a dingy room without any windows and paint peeling off the walls. There was one single light swinging from the ceiling and it was focused on me. The room smelled of mold and it was so silent, I could hear my own racing heartbeat roaring in my ears.

Where the fuck was I?

I could still feel the bullet and the shard of glass in my thigh. I gritted my teeth even though my skin was throbbing from the pain.

I heard a door slam and someone walked into the light. I squinted at the person.

Nothing could've prepared me for who it was.

He had brown hair that he had put up in little spikes and dull blue eyes. He smirked at me and his stupid little face scrunched up in a way that really made me want to punch him.

"Watson?" I snarled.

Reece grinned. "It's really nice to see you again."

"I swear to God, you go near her—"

He shook his head and let out a laugh. "I've always been near her. I'm one of the people that she actually trusts. I mean, you were telling her that I had ulterior motives, which I did, good catch." He walked so that he was behind me and I couldn't see his face. "But she's just a dumb little slut and is willing to trust anyone."

"Untie me right now and you won't be able to call her that again," I growled, struggling against my restraints.

He clicked his tongue at me disapprovingly. I wanted to rip it out of his mouth.

"She thought that leaving you in New York would protect you, you know that? She thought we'd think you weren't important to her." He laughed. "That is absolutely hilarious."

Protect me? From what?

"Who are you even working for?" I snapped at him.

He turned to look at me and grinned. "You mean she didn't tell you about her family?"

What about her family?

I stayed silent which gave him his answer. He roared with laughter and I was convinced now that he was a little insane.

"You don't know the kind of family she comes from," he shook his head. "Her father was the Boss of the Mafia, Santiago."

I stared at him in confusion. "So what about her family?"

He rolled his eyes. "I just told you."

"I know but I don't believe you. She can't—"

"Of course she can! She thought she could leave it behind when she full well knows it doesn't work like that. And she was even more of an idiot to think that there would be no consequences for getting involved with you." He sneered.

"What do you even want with her?" I snarled at him, trying to get out of my restraints again and still not succeeding.

"Oh, that's easy," he stopped in front of me and tilted my chin up. "We want to kill her."

I tried to bite his hand but he quickly retracted and clicked his tongue at me like I was a disobedient dog.

"Watson—"

He hit me in the jaw. My head snapped to the side. I looked up at him in anger, knowing that it was physically impossible for me to do anything.