Chapter 17: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

I woke up fully rested. I was actually in a pretty good mood until I realized where I was.

I looked down to see Jake snuggled up against me. His arm was thrown over my stomach and the other one was under my neck. His head rested on my chest, his breathing quiet and even. His head rose with my breathing.

I pushed him off the bed.

Jake hit the ground, a groan escaping his lips. "What the hell?" He growled. His voice was low and husky and sent a shiver down my spine.

His morning voice sounded sexy.

What did I just think?

I shoved the thoughts away and focused on the man on the floor. "Why were you in bed with me?"

He awkwardly cleared his throat. "I was planning on sleeping on the couch over there. But you wouldn't let go of me."

I stared at him. "Why am I in your room?"

He rubbed at his eyes. "You wanted to talk but you fell asleep. I put you down in my bed because your bedroom door was locked."

I looked down at myself only to see that I was wearing a T-shirt and I could feel my underwear on me. I felt blood rush to my cheeks.

"What—who changed me?"

Jake looked away uncomfortably. He muttered something incoherent.

"What?" I asked.

He coughed. "Me?"

I covered my face with my hands. "Oh my God. I-I don't—"

Jake scrambled off the ground. "I'm going to the bathroom," he announced loudly, cutting me off.

I nodded quickly, the blush refusing to leave my cheeks. "Did you remove the key from—"

I didn't think it was possible for the situation to get any more awkward than it already was, but I was wrong.

Jake couldn't meet my eyes. He fiddled with his fingers and stared intently at the floor. He cleared his throat twice, his cheeks becoming red. "Yeah."

The color of my face matched his. "Oh."

Jake rubbed at his eyes again. "We're going bowling in an hour. You might want to get ready."

I glanced at the clock on his nightstand. It was already 11 AM!

"Oh shit!" I hissed and quickly jumped out of bed. Jake made a strangled noise in the back of his throat.

I looked down at myself, noticing that the T-shirt ended at mid thigh, exposing my legs to him. I blushed again.

Composing myself, I looked at him. He was staring at me with an expression I couldn't place. He looked very fond.

"Where are my clothes?" My voice came out quiet.

He gestured toward his couch, his eyes not leaving me. To my surprise, he wasn't staring at my body. He was studying my face.

Self consciously, I wiped at my face. "Is there something there?"

Jake shook his head. "No."

I shrugged and gathered my clothes and shoes and headed toward the door. "Thanks," I said over my shoulder and left the room. I opened my door with the key in my pocket and dumped everything on my bed.

I grabbed a set of clothes and ran to the bathroom. I took a shower in twenty minutes, a new record for me. I dried my hair and quickly dressed myself in a blue T-shirt and black mom jeans. I put on a pair of black Converse and slipped on my engagement ring. I picked up a necklace with a ruby pendant and stuffed it into my pocket. I put on mascara and eyeliner and a light coating of lip gloss before brushing my hair.