Chapter 34: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

I slowly opened my eyes to be met with a white ceiling and the unpleasant smell of iodoform invading my nostrils. I let out a low groan as I felt a soreness in my torso but it felt subdued. I looked to the side to see the IV drips attached to my arm. I looked around to see if there was anyone else in the room to explain what was going on when I finally saw a figure leaning against the wall.

"You're awake," his voice was almost completely emotionless. Yet, even as he tried to hide his feelings, I could hear the undertones of relief and panic in his voice.

"Jacob?" I rasped out. My mouth was so dry that my tongue felt like leather.

He walked closer and took my hand in his. He pressed a button on the side of the bed before finally meeting my gaze. The sight completely surprised me.

His hair was an absolute mess and not the kind that he spent his time on in the morning. His usual bright green eyes looked dull and lifeless and were bloodshot. He had dark circles under his eyes and slight stubble along his jaw. His clothes were wrinkled and the buttons in his shirt seemed to be in the wrong holes.

He was a total wreck.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, trying to figure out why he looked the way he did.

He let out a low chuckle. "Am I okay? You should be asking that about yourself."

I frowned. "What happened?"

"You got hit by a car," he said, his voice low and full of anger.

I nodded as I started to remember the incident. The woman that had come out to kick me in the stomach.

Who was it again?

"Well, at least your car wasn't damaged," I said, smiling weakly.

His nostrils flared. "This isn't the time for jokes, Victoria. You are seriously hurt. You—"

The door to the room opened and a woman in a white coat and a clipboard in hand walked into the room, followed by another woman in blue green scrubs. Jake stopped talking as they stopped next to us.

"Hello, I am Dr. Leigh," the woman in the white coat spoke. "Can you tell me what your name is?"

"Victoria Hale," I told her.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty."

"When is your birthday?"

"July 24th."

"Do you have any siblings?"

"Yes. I have two."

"Where do you go to school?"

"I—" I frowned as I tried to recall. I knew I was enrolled in a college somewhere but I couldn't remember where. "I don't know," I said truthfully.

Jake stiffened next to me. Dr. Leigh just gave me a small smile and noted it down on her clipboard.

"Okay, no worries. What high school did you attend?"

It was all so fuzzy. I could imagine the building but when it came to the name, nothing came to mind. "I don't know."

"Do you know who this man is?" She asked me, nodding toward Jake.

"Yes. That's my boyfriend," I smiled up at him. He tried to hide the relieved breath he let out.

"Do you remember what happened?" She made eye contact with Jake before looking back at me.