Chapter 19: Jake

[JAKE]

Victoria was going to be the end of me. She was such a good hearted person and she had me entranced.

And she wasn't even trying, for fuck's sake.

I stood in the doorway silently as I watched Victoria's fingers fly across the keys of the piano. She was singing softly, but I could still hear everything.

Were you just kidding?
'Cause it seems to me, this thing is breaking down
We almost never speak
I don't feel welcome anymore
Baby what happened? Please tell me

'Cause one second it was perfect, now you're halfway out the door

And I stare at the phone, he still hasn't called
And then you feel so low you cant feel nothing at all
And you flashback to when he said, "Forever and always"
Oh, and it rains in your bedroom
Everything is wrong
It rains when you're here and it rains when you're gone
'Cause I was there when you said, "Forever and always"

I breathed in sharply as she held out the note effortlessly, her hands still drifting over the keys.

She stopped immediately, her head whipping toward me. Her eyes were widened in shock and she sat frozen, staring at me.

I smiled sheepishly, and clapped for a moment. Her eyes narrowed. I stopped abruptly.

"How long have you been standing there?" she demanded.

I scratched the back of my neck. "Not long."

She pursed her lips. She stepped away from the piano and stalked toward me.

"The engagement party is tomorrow," she said, stopping in front of me.

I bit my lip. "I'm aware. My father's supposed to send over workers to put in tables and chairs and such in the ballroom. And we need a song to dance to."

Victoria arched an eyebrow. "For what dance?"

I cleared my throat. "We have the first dance like we would in a wedding."

She nodded, looking deep in thought. "What were you thinking?"

I pulled my phone out and brought up one of my playlists. I handed the phone to her, chewing on the corner of my lip as she looked it over. I had my fingers crossed for I'll Be.

Victoria scrolled through the playlist before handing the phone back to me. "I like I'll Be. Is that okay?"

"Of course," I couldn't hide my grin. I loved this girl.

What.

The grin left my face as the thought entered my mind. Love? It had only been a month!

But I couldn't deny my feelings for her. I could suppress them, but not deny.

Holy shit.

I shot her a nervous smile and stepped back. "Catch you later!"

I turned around and quickly walked away. I could not let her know how I felt for her when it was obvious she didn't feel the same.

***

I walked into the living room after coming back from work. Everyone was seated around the coffee table with all of their phones out, along with two binders.

"Ava Kingston. Go," Ivy said, scrolling through her phone.

Victoria bit her lip. "Ian's cousin. Successful fashion designer and model. Studying at NYU. Grew up rich. Jake's ex girlfriend. Uh—"