Chapter 29: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

Two hours ago

I hated this life.

Or at least that's what I told myself.

The truth that I always kept hidden was that holding a gun made me feel powerful. I liked to know that at just a pull of a trigger, I could have those who opposed me dead.

It hadn't been hard to figure out where they had been keeping Jake. Reece was extremely stupid for underestimating me. He genuinely thought that tracking them down would take me three days, when it took me three hours at most.

I was raised to take over the position of Boss. I knew every one of our strongholds. I knew every escape route and every entry route, even if they didn't. Even as I tried to leave that life behind, the things I'd witnessed and gone through weren't just about to leave my mind.

We had two houses that served as strongholds in California. One near Chico and one near Barstow. The headquarters closest to Pasadena was Barstow. Reece had called me about three hours after Jake had been taken. If they had taken Jake all the way up to Chico, it would've taken at least six hours.

It was just simple logic at this point.

I made sure to dress in something I could easily move in and concealed knives and guns on my figure. The only thing I kept visible was my favorite pistol and my favorite knife. I couldn't imagine going into battle without them.

I drove my car to the house but made sure to keep it in the trees so that they couldn't see it. I knew there was a shed on the property that had an underground system that led directly into the basement of the house.

The basement, where we kept people we were interrogating or in this case, were keeping hostage. I knew that's where Jake would be.

I found the shed easily since it was on the edge of the property. I moved the carpet, opened up the trapdoor and climbed down the ladder. I made sure the carpet came down with the door so that no one would see me.

It was almost comical how easy it was to get in.

I used the flashlight on my phone to guide me through the maze as I walked deeper into enemy territory.

I ended up behind a vent. I kept my hand on my gun as I kicked the vent out. Hopefully, there would be no one on the other side.

My hopes were granted. I ducked out of the vent and put it back in its place, just in case anyone came in here again.

The room was completely empty except for the one corner that was piled high with boxes of what I assumed was some sort of ammunition.

I slowly opened the door and peeked out. There was no security at all. It was too easy. Reece had really underestimated me.

I marched down the hall, opening up doors and peeking in to see where Jake was being held.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and ducked into a room. I kept the door open a sliver and looked to see where the person was going. He slammed a door open and stormed in.

I slipped out of the room and pressed my ear against the door the guy had went into.

I was relieved to hear Jake's voice.

"How should I know that?" He demanded. I was happy to hear the fierceness in his tone. That would mean that they hadn't tortured him too much.

There was no sound for a few seconds and I couldn't help but be afraid that he had done something to Jake.