Chapter 38: Victoria

[VICTORIA]

Angelo and I stood in an awkward silence. Neither of us spoke as we waited for someone to make the first move.

In the end, it was Franco who solved the problem for us.

"I heard yelling, what happened?" He asked, groggily coming out of his room.

"Victoria's ex boyfriend stopped by," Angelo said, his voice filled with annoyance.

I glared at him and then turned to Franco. "He didn't cause any trouble. There's nothing to be worried about."

"Good, because I'm going back to sleep." With that, Franco turned around and went back into his room.

Angelo looked down at the floor. "You love him a lot, huh?"

I scratched the back of my neck. "Yeah, I do." I looked up at him and opened and closed my mouth several times as I thought about how to form my words. "I'm sorry about what happened earlier," I apologized. "I shouldn't have been using you as a distraction."

He gave me a small smile. "I'm here to serve you, aren't I? And besides," he shifted his weight, "I'm not supposed to do anything with you or else your brother will not hesitate to put a bullet in my head."

I cracked a smile at that. "I won't tell him if you don't." And like a child, I held my pinky out. He laughed and wrapped his pinky around mine, sealing our promise.

"You should talk to him, Victoria," Angelo said seriously, bringing the subject of Jake and I back.

My back stiffened. "I have about a million other things I'd rather do."

"Really? If you hated him as much as you act you do, you wouldn't have even heard him out. And you wouldn't have said that you would think about his proposal," he said gently.

"I said that to make him happy. I don't like seeing him sad," I said truthfully.

Angelo smiled. "You should think about why you feel that way." He gave me a two fingered salute and went back into his room.

I sank onto the couch and buried my face in my hands.

Did he just seriously come here to propose marriage? And it hadn't even been an impulsive thing! He had come prepared with a ring and a speech! How did he think that marriage would solve all our problems?

He apologized for not trusting you. 

That doesn't mean it won't happen again!

He's showing how sincere he is.

It doesn't change the fact that he trusted his ex-girlfriend over me. 

He's the one who ended up getting her arrested. Maybe, just maybe, his proposal isn't a bad idea...

I immediately slammed the brakes on that thought and hurried into my room to take a shower and hopefully distract myself. I refused to give in so easily. 

***

I burst into the kitchen to see Franco and Angelo sitting around the counter, their heads bent together as they discussed something. I quietly tiptoed near them to hear what they were talking about, but they heard me almost immediately and stopped speaking. 

I rolled my eyes. "What were you guys talking about?" 

"It has nothing to do with you," Angelo stated, taking a sip from his glass of whiskey. I leaned forward to take it from him and finished it in one gulp. He gave me a surprised look as I handed it back to him and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.