Chapter 20: Night Changes

(Ariana's POV)
I stumbled towards the sound of his voice. Nathan kept his grip under my elbow until another set of strong arms caught me. The heat from Zayn's skins burned me as he pulled me close. He made no effort to dance; he just hugged me while I buried my face in his chest. He leaned down to press his cheek to the top of my head.

"We'll give you guys some privacy." Nathan murmured, and I knew he was leaving us, giving me privacy — this moment with Zayn.

"I'm so happy you came!"

"Me too. that was the plan." Zayn said.

Zayn pulled back a little bit and straight-ned up. He left one hand on the small of my back and grabbed my right hand with the other. He cradled our hands to his chest; I could feel his heartbeat under my palm, and I guessed that he hadn't placed my hand there accidentally.

"I hope I get more than just one dance," he said, and began pulling me around in a slow circle that didn't match the tempo of the music coming from behind us. "I'd better make the best of it." We moved to the rhythm of his heart under my hand.

"I'm glad I came," Zayn says quietly after a moment.

"It makes me very happy that you came."

He smiled, his dark eyes twinkling. My eyes were adjusting, and I could see his face now, higher up than I expected. his full lips stretched over his bright teeth.

"You look nice today Ariana." Zayn tells me I thank him and continue burying my head into his chest. My thoughts were lost, as my head layed on his chest, and his arms were wrapped around my waist. us swaying back and forth to the music playing in the background.

.....

"Are you hungry?" Zayn asks me as we walk out of my dressing room.

"Not, really." I tell him, I'm still a little on edge from Justin's escapades.

"Okay, I don't have much but I could order you something if you want, let me know if you change your mind."

"Thank you." Zayn is always so sweet to me.

I excuse myself to go change out of my clothes I wore tonight into something else a little more comforting. when I come back with my bags Zayn is there waiting on me. he drapes his jacket over my shoulders and we out of the arena and over to his truck. he opens the passenger seat of his truck for me and helps me inside.

"Ariana.." Nathan calls. I instantly snap my head towards him.

"Thanks for inviting me on tour with you it was amazing." Nathan says. I step out and wrap my arms around his neck. and hop back into the truck. "Thanks for accepting ." I softly whisper and close the door.  

...

(Zayn's POV)

The drive from Ohio to Los Angeles was a daunting one. The first two hours were spent talking and laughing with each other. Ariana played with the ends of her curled hair, glancing over at me with flushed cheeks and a happiness in her smile that I missed seeing so much. I still love her even after we broke up I never stopped loving her ever.

"I'm sorry about what happened with  you and Justin." I said. her expression changed heavily from happy to sad. and I wanted to reach over and kiss those soft plump lips.

"No, it's not your fault. No need to feel sorry." she said. looking out the window still playing with the curled ends of her hair.

I pulled up to my apartment complex and I walk over to the passenger side of my, truck to help Ariana out. she hops out  and I grab her bag. and she walks up the steps. I pull out my keys and unlock the door.