Chapter 3

I'm nervous about tonight, I'm nervous about anything that has to do with him. Thatcher's been skeptical about everything since Marshall's been back. I text Maverick everyday but never about this, I know it would just hurt him. It's times like this when I miss Ren the most. She was the first friend I ever had in Detroit. She was the only other girl I knew, and still is. I don't know anybody that I haven't met through Marshall besides Thatcher. Now that she's gone it's hard for me to be around all those men.
But not Maverick. Even in the beginning when there was nothing at all between us he was the kindest and most outgoing of all of them. When he danced with me at the wedding, I knew he was just doing it for Marshall but that was nice. It sucks that I can't talk to him about this or anyone for that matter.
I turn my head slightly when I hear Thatcher coming down the stairs. He sits down next to me on the couch and smiles.

"Excited for your date?" He asks, rubbing up against my shoulder.

"More like nervous." I say, shifting uncomfortably.

"Why?" Thatch asks, turning to face me. "It's not like you have to make him like you." He jokes.

"I'm not worried about him liking me." I say, taking in a deep breath. "I'm worried about him liking me too much."

"Well darlin' I think we're past that." He laughs, flicking his eyebrows.

"He wants everything back the way it was, and I do too. But it wouldn't feel right if everything just went right back to it." I tell him. "I feel like he's different, I just want to get to know him more."

"Hey, whatever you do you know I'm behind you." He says, putting his arm around my shoulders. "Plus, think of how great that make up sex is gonna be. Damn."

"Thatcher!" I don't know why his comments still shock me as much as they do.

"You know what, I think I'm gonna go break up with Cash just so I can have some." He teases, laughing hysterically at his own joke.

"Shut up." I say, laughing too.

"Come on, you can't honestly tell me you haven't thought about it." He raises his brow in suspicion.

"You should see the look he gives me." I cross my legs. "It's hard not to think about it. It's like I know exactly what he wants with just a look."

"Well as we say back home, boy's got Hungry Eyes." He bursts out laughing again.

I roll my eyes at him and then smile. Marshall does have his 'Hungry Eyes' on me. My heart flutters at the thought.

"You know that's all kinds of wrong you're doing teasing that poor boy." He says, glancing at my outfit. "Is that what you're going to wear?"

"Yeah, we're not going any place special." I explain and Thatch stands from the couch, pulling me up with him.

"Let's see how much he's willing to wait." He says, dragging me up the stairs. "Let's jack up his manly bits."

I laugh at him, and he sits me down on my bed while he goes into my closet. He fishes through the clothes and stumbles upon an old top of mine. It's a long sleeve, but the cut of the neckline is low. Not to mention it's a size too small, making it very skin tight.

"This." He says, handing it to me.

"It's too small." I say, taking it reluctantly.

"Humor me." He presses.

He turns around and I take off my current too, replacing it with the one he gave me. It actually doesn't look that bad, I guess after losing all that weight I dropped a size. But the neckline is low and tight, sparing my cleavage no cover.