Chapter 11 (part 2)

The gym looks different somehow. Maybe it's just the feeling that's different, because physically nothing has changed. I left Bo with Thatcher and told Marshall to go home. I told him I'd call him later but I think we both knew that it was just talk. I don't think he would want to hear about this.
When I walk in I see Maverick doing his closing with a class. They're captivated by him, he's a good public speaker. It's easy to get wrapped up in his words, he has quite a way with them.
I wait for him to dismiss the group and then he grabs a bottle of water off the bench, downing half. He turns around and sees me, the two of us locking eyes with each other. He stands in his position for a minute then side smiles at me. Thank God, at least he's not mad. I offer a small wave and he begins to walk over, my heart rate quickening.

"Hey." He says, most of the hostility from the morning gone from his voice.

"Are you busy?" I ask him, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Not for another hour or two." He nods. "Do you want to go in the office?"

I nod and he leads the way to what used to be Rule's office. My stomach knots up when I step inside, and then I feel my chest tighten when he closes the door behind us. I look around, all of Rule's newspaper clippings are still held up by thumbtacks on the walls. That was one of the few things that survived the break in before the rebuild.
On the desk there's a picture of Ren, she's in her pajamas wearing that god awful gold sequin jacket he got her for Christmas after tracking down the Elvis that married them in Vegas. In the bottom corner there's a lipstick print with a little note written next to it.

Baby, I can't help falling in love with you
xx Ren

I smile to myself, those are Elvis lyrics. I feel my heart getting heavy and tear my eyes away from the photo. Maverick is leaning against the desk, his arms crossed like he's waiting for something. I didn't feel the tension until now, but it's almost overbearing and I feel self conscious under his eyes because I know what he's thinking.

"I'm sorry I made you come with me that night." I start, I feel it's better if we just jump right to it.

"Don't be." He shakes his head. "I would've been more upset had you gone alone."

"That seems to be what everyone thinks." I say, crossing my arms and nibbling on my bottom lip.

"Yeah well he didn't seem too happy about me being there." He tells me, lightly scoffing. "You know, threatening to kill me."

"He didn't mean that." I tell him, defending Marshall.

"I think he did." Maverick nods his head. "I could see it on him, and if not that he wanted to hurt me."

"He was just angry, he's working on it." I explain, and I see a hint of an eye roll but dismiss it. I'm not going to talk about Marshall and start that fight.

"He hates me doesn't he?" Mav asks, sitting on the edge of the desk. "You'd think after being friends this long, and knowing Rule so well he'd be a little more understanding."

"He doesn't hate you." I say, really not wanting to go down this road. "He hates what we did."

"Well." He says, taking in a deep breath and exhaling slowly. "Better he hates me than you."

His words sting, even like this he's still so kind.

"How did those guys know you?" I ask, changing the subject.

He tenses up physically, his body instantly responding to any mention of them. He doesn't answer me, just looks down at his feet and stares.