Chapter 13

~Marshall's P.O.V~

I wake up to an an unnerving sound. I rub my eyes, squinting at the sound. There's a moment of silence and then I label the sound as someone crying. A jolt of energy starts in my stomach and shoots up to my head. I look to my side and see Rachel's side of the bed is empty with the sheets pulled back. My eyes dart to the closed bathroom door where the noise is coming from. Suddenly I'm on my feet, making my way over. I try to open the door but she's locked it.

"Rach." I say, knocking on the wood.

She doesn't answer me. I hear that heartbreaking sound again, she's definitely crying. And it hurts me to know that she's by herself.

"Baby let me in." I demand, tapping again on the door.

"No." She protests, in a weak voice.

"Rachel." I need to get in there. "Please open the door."

"I don't want you to see me like this." She cries, and I'm perplexed by that.

"What's going on? Are you sick?" I ask her, unable to hide the worry in my voice. "Rachel please let me in."

"Go away." She says, sniffling.

I scowl in frustration. I could easily just force my way in, disregarding the lock but I wouldn't want to frighten her. She's clearly upset about something and I want to offer her comfort not stress. Luckily I remember there's a key to the bathroom in the bedside table. I retrieve it, quickly returning to the door. Swiftly I unlock the door, allowing her no time to protest otherwise.
When I open the door my heart aches at the sight of her. She's sitting on the floor with her knees pulled to her chest, tear stained cheeks are pink from the heat she's giving off from the labor of crying. Her hand had balled up the t shirt against her chest, clenching it tightly in her fist.

"Rachel what happened..." I fall to my knees beside her, wanting to pull her away from whatever she's feeling and drown her with love.

She glances at me for a second and then looks away, some more tears running down her cheeks. Unable to refrain from my need to comfort her, I reach out and pull her to my chest. She rejects me at first but eventually settles in my hold. I feel her muscles relax and she cries into my chest, and I pull her into my lap now sitting on the floor against the wall.

"What is it?" I ask her quietly, running my fingers through her hair lightly.

"I couldn't sleep." She says through her tears. "And I started thinking about Ren...and I just felt sick."

My heart contracts with massive velocity and I feel for her. I hold the side of her face, my hand becoming damp due to her tears. I lean down to kiss her forehead but she turns away, beyond distraught. I hug her tight, I want to make this go away.

"I miss them so much." She says against my chest, clinging to me.

"I know Rach, I do too." I rest my head on top of hers.

"I don't know what to do anymore." She tells me, her breath shaking. "Everything is so...wrong."

"What do you mean?" I ask, afraid of the answer.

"Our friends are dead." She cries, I can feel her tears on my chest. "Thatcher's a mess since Cash, Maverick won't talk to me and because of that I can't see Bo." She brings her hand up to dry her eyes.

"Don't worry about Thatcher babe." I tell her in an attempt to alleviate some of the issue. "Cash will be back."

"He's a wreck."

"I know him, he'll be back Rach don't worry about that."

"And then there's us." She says unexpectedly, throwing me off.