Chapter 32

My mother's wedding to Paul is in three weeks, and because of that I have been spending a lot of time with Thatcher. Even though he's been my brother for years, it'll be official now. As far as how big or formal it's going to be, Thatch just said Paul's inviting some old friends from Alabama and I remember mom saying Aunt Daisy and my cousins will be here. Marshall agreed to come and that makes me nervous. I know how my Aunt Daisy is and she won't like the idea of me being married and pregnant without a phone call.

"Mom said she wants you to wear pink." Thatcher tells me, walking through an aisle of dresses. "I told her no way no how but she's as stubborn as you are."

"She's always liked me in pink." I shrug. "But I'm not six anymore, I'll be wearing red or black."

"How Ren of you." He says and we both laugh.

"I'm gonna have to find something I don't look fat in." I say, resting a hand on my stomach while the other one sifts through dresses.

"You're not fat, you're pregnant. And I'll fight anybody who says anything about it." He jokes, leaning against the rack. "Marshall coming?"

"Yeah." I nod, exhaling deeply.

"That's good?" He asks, confused by my response.

"Yes it is." I nod. "It's just that my family will scrutinize him."

"He's tough, he'll live." He reassures me, holding up a dress for me which I shake my head to.

"I know. But I haven't made much of an effort to keep my family in the loop. I bet my cousins don't even know about him." I explain, sighing. "Who's coming from your side?"

"My uncles. All eight of them." He says, rolling his eyes. "And their wives and their children. Plus a few of my dads old friends."

"What the hell happened to them wanting a small wedding?" I ask rhetorically, laughing.

"To each their own, we just have to show up." He laughs too.

There's a lull in our conversation. I take a few minutes to really focus on the clothing while sneaking a glance at Thatch. He's got that look on his face, he's holding something back.

"What?" I ask him, turning to face him and leaning against the rack.

"Nothing." He shakes his head.

"Quit it, let's hear it." I protest, awaiting his response.

"It's just something that happened at the gym." He shrugs. "Cash was talking to Maverick and it came up that you and Marshall are married..." His voice trails off and it gets me slightly angry.

"And?" I prompt.

"Well," He takes a deep breath. "He freaked out and has been awol for the past three days."

"What?" I'm shocked, that just doesn't seem right to me. "What did Cash say exactly?"

"He said exactly that, I didn't want to get into it right then." He shrugs.

"Thatch, Maverick doesn't just freak out something else must've happened." I shake my head, furrowing my eyebrows. "And what the hell do you mean by awol?"

"Apparently he hasn't been at the gym and no one can reach him." He answers obediently.

"Did anyone think to call him? Go to his house? He has a baby for God's sake it's not like he went anywhere!" I shout, and then remind myself that we're in a store and bring my voice back down.

"You know what Rach, we can shop tomorrow let me get you home-"

"I want to talk to Cash." I cut him off, letting my old feelings get the best of me. "I should talk to Maverick."