Chapter 25

He left for the fight straight from the hospital. I knew it would be cutting it close but I'm just glad we got this done. Ellis was nice enough to put our test on express, we will have it by tomorrow morning. Thatcher dropped me off at Maverick's and I climb up the front steps. Even though Marshall is opposed to any contact with him, he knows that it's better if I'm here. I want to get in front of it, I don't want him to just find out from my stomach.
I knock on his front door, my nerves heightening. This is either going to be very awkward or not awkward at all. I don't have much time to think on it before the heavy redwood door swings open.
For the first time in what feels like ages, we see each other. He's got Bo perched on his waist, easily holding her with one arm. He hasn't changed a bit, aside from a bit more scruff than I'm used to. Suddenly I find myself at a loss for words. How do I even begin to speak to him after everything he's been through because of me. The look he's giving me hurts. He looks sad, but in that apologetic puppy dog way that he wears so perfectly.

"Come in." He says, and steps aside to let me by.

I walk in and he shuts the door again. Bo's gotten much bigger since I last saw her. Her hairs grown quite a bit, and he's put it in two mini pigtails held together by little pink rubber bands. We spend the next minute or so just looking at each other. Neither of us are really sure what to say but he breaks the tension by extending his hand. I take it, and I'm pulled into a tight hug against his chest. His free arm wraps around me and I hug him back. All the awkwardness there was before is instantly gone.

"I missed you." He says quietly, rubbing my back.

"I missed you too."

We separate and he hands Bo over to me. I haven't seen her in so long. She smiles at me, laughs, and then buries her head in my shoulder.

"Her room's set up." He tells me. "Wanna see?"

I nod and he takes me down the all too familiar hallway. Inside her room is decorated perfectly. When I last saw it it was just pink paint on the walls. Now there's furniture and curtains, and a framed picture of Rule and Ren hanging on the wall above her crib.

"You really did a lot of work in here." I say, and Bo pouts her lip like she's going to cry.

She starts to breathe heavily, the storm is coming. But before she can drop one tear Maverick takes her and picks up that pink monkey that's now faded and she stops instantly.

"She loves you." I tell him, just because I think it's something he should hear.

He smiles at me and then puts Bo down in her crib. She's getting tired, and he bends down to kiss her forehead before urging us out of the room. I follow him back to the front, where he instructs me to sit on the couch. I obey him, after everything I've put him through I'll do whatever her wants.

"Do you want something to drink?" He asks me, heading over to the fridge.

"Just water please." I answer, crossing my legs.

He returns with two glasses of water and sits beside me with one of his legs tucked under him. I take mine, grateful for something to ease the tension. We sit for a few seconds in silence and I have no idea what I'm supposed to say next.

"Is he still, uh, fighting?" Mav tries, rubbing his eyes.

"Yes." I answer obediently, shifting and resisting the urge to rub my stomach.

"Really?" He tilts his head to the side. "I would've thought after we went that he wouldn't keep it up."

"It's not like he has a choice." I say under my breath and immediately regret it.