Chapter 28

We get home and he heads straight for the couch, sitting down and breathing deeply. He's clearly mad about what Tulco said. Even if it's not what he wanted to hear it's something that needed to be said. Marshall needs to realize that fighting is killing him.
I walk over to the couch as well and sit down beside him. His chest huffs to maintain the air flow and after a couple minutes his breathing steadies. I lay my head on his shoulder and pull my knees up to my chest. We sit like this for another few minutes and then I speak first.

"I know you're mad baby." I say, putting my hand on his knee. "I know it's not what you wanted to hear but-"

"I'm not mad because of that." He cuts me off and shakes his head. "I'm mad because he's right."

I sigh deeply, at least Tulco's words got through to him as I hoped they would.

"I know I'm going to have to stop. I promised you I would." He tells me, turning to press a kiss to my forehead. "I don't want to grow old with you if it means I'm going to have dementia and forget who you are." He laces his fingers with mine and rubs his thumb on the back of my hand. "I know I have to retire, but I have to finish these rounds. You know that."

I nod against his shoulder. I can't believe he's being so understanding. This is very out of character for him and even though it's strange I like it. He rests his head on mine and continues to rub my hand gently.

"You didn't tell me you have an ultrasound next week." He says, his other hand playing with my hair.

"To be completely honest, I forgot." I say back, cuddling his bicep. "I want you to come with me."

"I will." He nods.

There's a silence between us, one that I can't explain. It wasn't until he said that that I realized we don't even officially live together. The baby's coming fast and we don't own a house or anything to create a stable environment. I look down at our hands laced together, the faint lights coming through the window twinkle in the reflection of the diamond on my ring finger.

"I wanna get married Marshall." I say before I can think about what I'm saying.

"We will Rach." He answers.

"No, like, I want to get married." I say again, a little more serious this time.

"What? Like, right now?" He asks, turning to face me slightly.

"Well not necessarily right this second, but I don't want anything huge. I just want to be married to you before the baby comes." I tell him, looking up at him. "Let's just go to the courthouse tomorrow and do it. What do you think?"

"Baby I can't think of anything I want to do more." He smiles at me, then kisses my forehead again. "Let's do it."

I lean forward and kiss him on the lips for a while. We're really gonna do it. I have to call Thatcher, he would never forgive me if I got married without him. I also have to tell my mom, I haven't seen her in a long time and I'm sure she'd like to know what's going on with me. I pull away from Marshall and smile at him.

"Well now I'm too excited to do anything." I confess, kissing him quickly again.

"I'm excited too." He nods, and cups his hand behind my knee, dragging my leg across his lap. "But right now I'm feeling a little stressed."

"Is that going to be your excuse now? That you're stressed out?" I laugh, and then jump as his hands clamp around my butt.

"I don't need an excuse." He fires back. "I'm just following doctor's orders, you're the one who wanted me to go."