Chapter 36

It's amazing how Marshall can wear something as simple as a t shirt and look as good as he does. Except right now he's just in jeans, holding a black shirt and a white shirt in either hand.  I wish I could go with him but the morning sickness was horrible today, and I'm exhausted from it.

"Black." I say, and he looks at me before putting down the white shirt.

"You know I don't want to go if you're not going." He tells me, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "Without you the only person I know will be Thatcher."

"I'll make sure he's nice." I reassure him, putting my hand on his knee.

"That's not the point." He says, wrapping his arm around me and I put my head on his shoulder. "If it weren't for you we wouldn't have even been invited."

"I want to be there, but I don't want to throw up again." I say, putting my hand on my stomach.

"She's a feisty little one, isn't she?" He jokes.

"Yeah." I smile to myself.

"What are you gonna do while I'm gone?" He asks me. "Are you gonna be okay by yourself?"

"Yeah I'm probably just gonna go to bed early." I tell him, sighing. "Unless you want me to wait up."

"No baby it's okay." He says, kissing my cheek. "I'll only stay for an hour or two."

"Okay." I say, turning and pushing a long kiss to his lips. "Have fun."

He stands up and puts both his hands on either of my cheeks.

"Love you." He tells me and pecks me on the forehead before heading down the hall.

***

He's been gone four hours and I take that as a good sign. I haven't thrown up again and I'm actually feeling much better. The tv provides a faint light over his bedroom and I sit up in his bed. I'm barely up when my phone starts vibrating on the nightstand. When I pick it up my heart jumps and I'm surprised to see Maverick's name. I let it ring for a minute and then answer.

"Hello?" I say, not trying to sound preppy.

I hear nothing but some light shuffling on the other end.

"Mav?" I say a little louder, hoping for him to say something.

There's nothing but some more shuffling and then I hear a baby crying, probably Bo. It takes me a minute to realize it's a butt dial before I hang up. For some reason I feel a little upset that he didn't intentionally call. Part of me thought he would answer and say that he's completely okay now. That he's figured everything out and we can all go back to the way things were. But now thinking it I realize how far fetched that is. It's going to be a long time before everything's okay again.

"Babe!" Marshall's voice coming from the living room, shattering my thoughts. "Rach if you're sleeping wake up!"

I hear him coming down the hall quickly and he stumbles into the bedroom. There's a big goofy looking smile on his face, one I've never really seen before. I fold my legs under me and watch him sidestep his way to the bed. He plops down next to me, smiling at me again.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, laughing.

"I'm great." He says, a little louder than necessary. "A little drunk, but pretty great."

"So you had a good time?" I ask, watching him stand up and begin to remove his clothes.

"The best time." He tells me, stepping out of his pants and rolling back into bed next to me. "Would've been better with my smoking hot wife there."