Chapter 35

~Marshall's P.O.V.~
The ceremony was brief, I know that's what Rose wanted. We're about an hour into the reception now, which is just a party in the backyard. Rachel got talked into helping with something by her aunt while I'm sitting at a table with Thatcher, Cash, some of Paul's friends, and perfect Jeff.

"So Marshall how long have you and Rachel been married?"

I turn my head towards everyone and it takes me a second to realize that Jeff is the one asking.

"About a month." I say shortly, leaning back in my chair. This should be interesting.

"Oh wow." His eyes widen and he laughs. "How long have you been together?"

"Three years." I say, fighting with everything I have to keep my eyes from rolling.

"I know I already said it but congratulations." He tells me, smiling. "On the baby too, that's really great."

"Thanks." I say dryly, taking another sip of my drink.

"So what do you do?" He asks and I almost cringe. He is so fucking annoying and persistent but I take this as an opportunity to scare him off.

"I'm a fighter." I tell him, straightening back up.

"Whoa like MMA?" He asks, a childish glow in his eye.

"Boxing." I correct. "But lately more cage type stuff."

I can't just outright tell him I've been fighting in the street. This kid is trying my patience, I need Rachel to come back and make him stop.

"I never pictured her with someone like you." He says, and I turn to face him. What the fuck? "I mean yeah in high school she had our whole football team asking her out but she never went for the jock type."

"What type did she go for, Jeff?" I ask, failing to keep the sarcasm out of my voice. "You?"

"Well, yeah." He laughs and I want to beat it out of him. "But we were each other's only really close friends, we were bound to catch feelings."

"You know," I shrug, not even caring about being a dick anymore. "Funny how you keep saying the two of you were so close and she's never mentioned you once."

"Really?" He asks in confusion before he can stop himself.

"Yep." I nod as though it's the proudest moment of my life. "Never."

"Oh, well we haven't seen each other in a long time." He says, like he needs an excuse for her not talking about him. "Where is she anyway?"

I roll my eyes and turn towards the crowd of people in the backyard. I spot Rachel immediately, she's facing away from us in a group of other women that seem to be admiring her ring.

"She's right there." I say, and flick my chin in her direction.

"How can you tell from this far away?" He asks, laughing.

"I'd know those hips anywhere." I say, and it catches him off guard and I take another sip of my drink.

I can't tell if it's jealousy on his face or shock, I'm okay with either. But he better get his beady brown eyes off of her before I do it for him. I glare at him for quite some time before he finally stops looking at her. I open my mouth to speak only to be cut off by Thatcher.