Chapter 12

Even though Maverick and I weren't talking before, it seems like we're even more so not talking now. I can't get his face when he said it out of my mind. He was hurt, and looked like he wanted nothing more to do with me. But I know that's not true. I know he's just trying to figure himself out. It's just something I'm going to have to let him figure out for himself, no matter how much I wish I could help.
It's been a week since I last saw Maverick, and I'm at Marshall's. He's out in the front room doing God knows what and I'm getting ready for bed. I haven't seen much of Marshall either the last week. In truth I've been avoiding him. He hasn't asked about my talk with Maverick much, not fishing for any details. It's not that I don't want to tell him about the whole 'I love you' thing it's just that I know it'll make him upset.
I turn my head towards the door when I hear his footsteps coming down the hall. My body tenses up and I hear him enter, stopping at the door and leaning against the threshold. It creaks ever so slightly under his weight and I turn around. He's got his hands in the pockets of his joggers and no shirt, and he's just looking at me. I hate when he does that. It makes me very self conscious.

"What?" I ask, in reference to his staring.

A smirk creeps across his lips and he crosses his arms, biting on his bottom lip gently to hide the smirk. I sigh and this time take one of his baseball tees to wear. I feel him watching me while I pull it on.

"Why are you staring at me?" I ask impatiently, putting my hands on my hips.

He laughs once to himself and then walks over to me, closing the distance between our bodies by securing me against his chest. He leans down and drags the tip of his nose up the side of my neck and then he kisses me gently on the lips.

"I feel like I've barely seen you lately." He says, so close I can feel his breath on me when he speaks. "I miss you."

"I'm right here." I tell him, wrapping my arms around his neck. "You don't have to miss me."

"Yeah but I do." He sighs. "Especially these big green eyes."

He puts his hand on my cheek and I blink, he's very needy right now. This is a side of him I don't often see but happen to like. He's kind, in a way that isn't always shown but I know it's there.

"You're so beautiful." He tells me, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "I should tell you that more."

I begin to blush and try to drop my head but he holds it in place, a sweet smile forming on his lips.

"You shouldn't try to hide your blushing." He says. "I think it's cute. I like it."

"I think you're cute." I fire back, catching him off guard. "Especially this dimple." I say, poking the side of his cheek only causing him to smile harder, making the dimple more intense.

"You know what I think is cute?" He challenges, smiling like he knows something I don't.

I look confused for a moment or two before his hand drops from the small of my back to my butt, playfully tapping it just enough to make me gasp. I'm thrust into a sea of blushing, burying my face in his chest that's vibrating with laughter.

"I'm deciding whether I like the reaction or your butt more." He tells me, his free hand mirroring the position of the other.

"Marshall!" I scold him for making me blush so much, I don't know why he gets such a kick out of this.

"Alright I'll stop." He says, his expression denying every word he just said.

I wiggle myself free from him and go to lay down on the bed. I'm barely getting under the covers before he's beside me pulling me against his body, kissing me gently. I huff out a breath and he laughs against my skin. His arms cradle me in a loving hold, he can't keep off of me. He blows lightly on the space behind my ear, tickling it with his breath and I laugh.