Chapter 21

~Rachel's P.O.V.~

Marshall's grip on my hand tightens even more and he presses a loving kiss to my cheek. I glance at him for a second and then direct my attention back to Ellis who is dismantling the machine.

"Congratulations." He says to the both of us, picking up my chart and flipping it back open. "Rachel I have to say, this is very very unlikely and I'd like to do some follow up appointments soon."

"Okay." I nod, and then turn to Marshall and leaning closer to him. "Will you go make sure Thatch isn't suspicious? I don't want to tell him yet."

"Anything baby." He says, smiling and then kissing my forehead. "I'll be out there."

I hold his hand until he's out of range and he disappears on the other side of the curtain. When I turn back to Ellis he's sitting with his legs crossed with my chart in his hand. A pair of rectangle eyeglasses rest on the bridge of his nose and he scribbles a few things down in his illegible doctor hand writing.

"How far along am I?" I ask, chewing on my lip. That question has been eating at me for a long time.

"Well I'd say probably around twelve, maybe thirteen weeks." He tells me and my stomach drops. "It's amazing how quickly they moved, like I said I've only heard about this a few times back in medical school. It's nothing short of a miracle, really."

"Just what I need." I say, smiling back at him even though this new information makes me sick to my stomach all over again.

"I'm glad." He nods, standing up and flipping my chart closed. "Well Rachel I'm happy to say that you're free to go, and I'll see you back here for a sonogram in a few weeks."

We say our goodbyes and then I head back into the waiting room. Marshall walks over as soon as he sees me, resting his hand on my cheek and giving me a kiss.

"I love you." He tells me quietly.

"I love you." I say and then kiss him again before we break it up so I can give Thatch a hug.

"Are you okay honey?" He asks, giving Marshall a deadly side-eye.

"I'm just fine Thatch." I tell him, and completely go against my wishes. "I'm pregnant."

Thatcher double takes at me, and his eyes widen along with his smile. He clamps a hand over his mouth and his eyes trail all over my stomach and then back up to meet mine. Before I know it I'm engulfed in a hug and he squeezes me lovingly.

"Oh my god I'm so happy for you!" He tells me and then turns his head towards Marshall in a sarcastic way. "And you."

"Thank you." I say.

We start to walk out of the hospital waiting room and back into the parking lot. We walk towards Marshall's Cadillac and Thatcher bombards me with questions.

"What did the doctor say? How did this happen?" He asks me, and we both get in the back seat while Marshall drives.

"Well I had some pain, which lead to an ultrasound and he told me that my adhesions had shifted." I explain to him and Marshall starts us on the way home. "Marshall was actually the one that spotted the baby."

"Well well well." Thatcher says. "Seems like nine inch has a pretty good eye."

Marshall's eyes flick to look at us in the rear view mirror and Thatcher laughs to himself.

"Down boy." He teases as though he's talking to a dog. "I'm just teasing."

Marshall turns red and goes back to intensely watching the road. I lean forward and put my hands over into the driver's seat, rubbing Marshall's shoulders reassuringly. He turns his head to the right and kisses my hand.