We Say Summer

Alex's POV:

I heard a rustling from the other side of the bed. "Again?" I asked.

"They're only ten minutes apart. I have to wait until five before we go to the hospital." She said through tears.

"God, are they really that painful?" I turned to face her, setting a hand on indent of her waist.

"I'm fine." She wiped away a tear.

"You're a real trooper when it comes to pain. You just pretend it isn't there." I replied. "Well, let's get you dressed and maybe by that time it'll be five minutes apart. You're obviously not gonna sleep like this."

"Alex, I have to try and sleep. If I don't sleep and the labor is long, I'll be too tired to push the baby out."

"Your body will know what to do." I stood. "I can't sleep knowing you're like this." 

She followed suit, however reluctant. "Uh oh." She said.

"What?"

"The sudden movement made my water break." 

It started to dawn on me. This was really happening. I took a deep breath. "Well, now you really do have to go."

I grabbed a duffle bag from the closet, and threw an extra pair of clothes and pajamas for me. I wanted to be prepared to be by Marina's side no matter what it took. So, fresh clothes would be nice. Marina threw in some loose stuff to wear once the baby came, and a jersey.

"What? I want him to be exposed early to his favorite football team!" She said, lifting her shirt to put on a different t and some sweats. She knew she would take it off anyway, but wanted to not wear water soaked, sweaty clothes.

I grabbed that bag and our pre-packed baby bag (with everything for our little Peter) and headed out to the car. Marina took my hand.

With every step I took, it became more real. They always say that a woman becomes a mother the moment she becomes pregnant, and a man becomes a father when the baby is born. I could see how true it was. Sure, Marina being pregnant did change some things, but it really didn't alter my life. Our sex was less frequent and our home baby-ified, but I had no more responsibility than normal. 

But now, in this moment, I began to truly realize that I was becoming a father. This would be the last time I ever look back at my house without Peter inside or in my back seat. I was leaving without a son, and coming home with one. I couldn't even begin to imagine what life may be like. I was at a loss for words.

My thoughts were interupted by a sudden movement in the seat beside me. I looked over to see Marina's face winced, her hand clawing into the arm rest. The poor thing. I put my right hand within her reach, and she gripped tightly. "You don't have to be so poised. Please scream if it'll make you feel better."

"No, no." She struggled to say. I glanced back again, her face glisening wetness in the headlights of other cars on the road.

I kept on driving, all the way to John Hopkins. We parked at the ER, nice and up close. I got out first, with the bags slung over my shoulder. I opened the door for Marina, holding her hand as she got out. We walked, her struggling, but still holding the finest grace. We entered the hospital, heading over to the front desk. 

"Donnie boy, bring out the dang wheelchair!" The lady called to a security guard. "Can't you see this woman's having a baby?" She turned to us. She was a fat woman in bright pink scrubs with very kind eyes. "So, gimmie the stats." She smiled.

"Marina Gaskarth. My water broke about twenty minutes ago." She had to pause and wince. "Contractions are about seven minutes apart. Doctor Flora sees us."