Let It Roll

Ironic chapter title btw. You'll see why.

*

Marina's POV:

I ran up the stairs, calling to the boys. Alex and I had modelled the upstairs into four bedrooms and what we hoped would become a bathroom. It was early one september morning. Peter was off to his first day of preschool. I opened their door (I felt more comfortable knowing they shared a room). He whined. "No, mommy!"

"Yes, Peter! C'mon, you gotta go to school! You're gonna meet so many new friends and learn so much! You'll  be able to read more than just Brown Bear Brown Bear! Don't you want that?" I asked.

"No. I wanna sleep more." He turned around in his bed. 

"Well I'll pick out some clothes for you and make breakfast, but come down when you're ready." I ruffled back his caramel bangs and kissed his forehead. I looked over to Brian in his toddler bed. He was yawning.

I sat on the edge. "You seem tired, too, my little Bri-guy." 

He nodded and yawned again. I ruffled his hair back and kissed his forehead too. I went to the dresser and picked out a Raven's shirt for Peter with a pair of jeans. I grabbed a similar, hand me down outfit for Brian. I loved having all the old clothes for him. I grabbed a little Raven's baseball cap and set it with the other clothes. 

"Peter, when you go outside for recess, will you wear your hat? I don't want you to get a sunburn."

"Okay, mommy." He replied, rubbing his eyes and getting out of bed. 

I quickly got Brian dressed. I heard a shout from downstairs. "Where's my beautiful wife? Where's my little shit and my little turd cutter?" Turd cutter was Brian's nickname. It meant asshole.

"I'm up here. The boys are coming down, too." I answered, placing Brian on my hip. He set his tired head in the nook of my neck. Funny how that was my happy place on Alex.

Alex came out of Stella's nursery, cradling her. "The princess is sleepy this morning."

"Babe, you have to stop calling Peter your little S word. He's going to school now. He's gonna start saying that and then we're going to be embarassed." I replied, taking out pancake mix without even putting Brian down. I made my own powder, just add milk, mixture and kept it in a cereal tupperwear container for quick morning breakfasts. It paired well with frozen blueberries.

"Oh, who cares. I made a career on telling dick jokes. Language has little to do with success." He said.

"It's not success, Alex, it's about when other kids start repeating that. Peter's getting a little potty mouth and he'll be punished for it, whether we care or not." I poured in milk and began to whisk it.

Alex came and stood behind me, massaging my free shoulder. "I don't mean to defy you, baby. I just want Peter to speak freely. Besides, I don't want to come up with another nickname." He kissed my cheek.

"It's funny how the boys get insulting nicknames but Stella gets a complimentary one." I laughed.

"Hey, can I get my morning kiss yet or what?" He asked.

I turned around and set my free hand on his cheek, then gave him a sweet kiss. 

"Damn you. That kiss is like a drug." He smiled. He then kissed a sleepy Brian's forehead. He turned back to Stella in his arms and started singing. His normally punk voice turned into a lullaby. "You only hold me when I'm wasted..."

I watched adoringly as he walked to the couch and cuddled our smiling baby girl. He even put her sprouting blonde hair into a pink bow. I finished up the blueberry pancakes. It would have been fun to use the waffle iron, but I couldn't bear to put Brian down so I could grab it. I turned to Brian. "Which one do you want?"