Remembering Sunday

Marina's POV:

I woke up before anyone else, as usual. I started a pot of coffee, pouring myself and Alex each mugs. He would be up soon. The sounds were all different than usual. No more Emily's pregnancy snoring. No more Zack's apnea snores. Instead, you could hear the faint sounds of the little bunk TV on from Jimmy's, the light snores from Stella, and rush of the AC. I mixed a bowl of batter and heated up the waffle iron, taking out all the toppings and setting them buffet style. I kept them warm in the oven until the kiddos woke.

I heard heavy footsteps, and the door to the bunk hall opened. It was the face I had been waiting for. His face was prickled with hair, smile light and blessed. "How's my beautiful wife?"

Alex could always take my breath away, even in his ravens sweats and sassy t-shirt. "I'm absolutely amazing. How's my magnificent husband?"

"I'm better now that we've settled in. I was really worried about the boys. You know how reckless they can be." He swept me up in his arms.

"They're just as reckless as you were as a teenager. And look, you turned out fine." I brushed his hair from his face.

"I was hoping they might be more like you." He echoed my movements.

"Oh no you don't. I was a stupid teenager. Running away, smoking twice as much weed. Going after guys six years older than me." I rested my head on his shoulder. "Face it, Alley Cat, you could have been a total creep. Instead you were what brought me down to earth."

"Yeah, Big Butt. I remember how cocky you were. But you also took my head out of my ass. You made me respect my relationships." He rocked me back and forth. "I'm missing something."

I jumped up a little to kiss him. He kissed back and kept rocking me anyway. "Mmm, you smell nice baby." I said into his shoulder.

"It's only because you wash my clothes." He laughed.

"I made you some coffee." I reached to the table to give him his mug. It was black with the Blink 182 California dude on it. Mine was white with the chick. I figured it could make a good instagram post later.

He took a sip and smiled, then put it down to kiss me again. "It's delicious."

"Kinda like you." I whispered.

"Jesus, baby." He rocked me again.

I heard lighter footsteps. "Aw, that's fucking gross." 

I looked over Alex's shoulder, although I knew the voice like I knew my own. "Good morning to you, too, Peter. I made waffles."

"Aw, fuck yeah!" He took them out of the oven with his bare hand, only wincing a little bit.

"Christ, Peter, you're gonna burn yourself!" I said, unravelling from Alex.

"Mom, waffles are completely worth it. It's okay." He piled up a plate.

"There's an oven mitt right on the counter!" I argued.

"Woman, get off of my ass!" He said through a mouthful.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't talk to your mother that way." Alex corrected.

"Sorry. Mom, get off of my ass please I love you." He repeated.

"Okay, I'll step off." I sat across from him. Alex scooted in next to me.

"Why do I keep waking up at this ungodly hour? Maybe I'm too close to breakfast and I can smell it." Peter said.

"It could just be a tour thing. I always assume it's morning and I slept in because the bunks are so dark." Alex said.