Break Out! Break Out!

Marina's POV:

I was sitting on our front pourch, Peter in my arms. It had been five days since we brought him home. Rain was trickling down the landscape, onto my little yellow Cobalt. Peter was looking up at me, observing as he usually did. He was not a very noisy baby. He liked to watch the world go by, taking notes in his pretty little head. Alex was at a quick meeting with the band he was producing. They had finished the album, mixing and everything. He needed to be present during the record company meeting, just to overlook the band. He said he would miss working with them, but he already signed another band to work on another album. He was hoping to become a super producer, like John Feldman. I personally never like John Feldman's work, so I knew Alex could do better. 

He pulled in the driveway, rushing up with a bag of dinner (who knows what kind of food today?), placing it on the patio table. "You look ravishing this evening." He kissed my cheek, taking our son.

"You say that every day when you get home." I giggled.

"Because you're absolutely beautiful every day." He glanced down at Peter's smiling face.He put on his baby voice. "How was this little shit today?"

He had a habit of calling Peter "this little shit". "Wonderful, as always. He was very hungry today in particular, though."

"He probably realized how gifted he was to have a mummy with such beautiful titties. I swear Marina, pregnancy was good to you. I thought your boobs were beautiful before..."

"So what did you bring us home for dinner?" I asked.

"There's this wonderful new European place in the city. I went there for lunch a few times and new you would love it. I brought us some paella." He made a raspberry to make Peter smile again. "Look at this little creature! He's adorable!"

I opened my mouth to agree, but Alex's phone started ringing. "You know when that hotline bling-" 

"Marina, could you get it?" He asked.

"Of course." I reached into his pocket to see that it was Jack. "Hey Jack-O!"

"Hello, is this Alex?" A man who was clearly not Jack said somberly.

"No, this is his wife, Marina." I answered, feeling that something was off. "But Alex is right here. I'll put you on speaker."

"Thank you. This is doctor Rosstein. Jack is a bit hysterical at the moment, and wanted me to call and inform you two of some bad news."

My heart stopped. I looked at Alex with scared eyes. He replied, "What's going on?"

"Are you two sitting down at the moment?"

"Yes, we are." I answered.

"Unfortunately, there was a complication with Jennifer's childbirth. She had an internal rupture which caused her to bleed out. Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do to help, and she passed away."

I thought my heart had already stopped. Apparently it hadn't, because now it most certainly did. I felt tears rush to the surface of my eyes. I blinked them away. Alex looked completely shocked. Neither of us could say anything.

"I realize this is a lot to take in-"

"How's the baby?" I rushed to say.

"His son is miraculously fine. He has yet to name him." The doctor answered right away.

A weight was taken off my shoulders. I could breathe again. Alex finally spoke up. "Tell Jack we're getting in the car now, and we will be there as soon as possible."