The Girl's a Straight Up Hustler

Marina's POV:

It was that time of year that all us girls needed to meet up again. We all talked on the phone and texted nearly every day, but we hardly discussed the buisness of the band. And it almost seemed as though we all had different careers, anyway. Tony still toured, so Kianna stayed in San Diego working at a record label in the marketing wing. Colby was staying at home with the baby girl while Luke was out writing or touring. Emily, still here in Baltimore, used her associates degree in early childhood education at a nearby elementary school. Zack was training to become a personal trainer. I was writing the column for Alternative Press, but really, I was a stay at home mom, caring after the boys. And I really didn't mind it all that much.

We all decided to meet for brunch. Colby and Kianna left the kids at home with the boys, who were in between tours. Emily left Gabe and Hazel with Zack for the morning. I was much less fortunate. Alex was working, and Jack was working, so I had to bring both boys. I didn't even bother with the stroller. And a purse? Forget it. I just tossed my wallet in the diaper bag. Ain't no mama got room for that!

I felt like a superstar. My aviators were over my eyes, hair clean and nice in a messy bun, and I was wearing normal jeans. Not even maternity! Crazy, right?

I found the table, where Colby and Kianna sat. Don't worry, I was still early. Emily would probably be running late. Gabe really hated when she left.

"Woo, hoo, Marina! Lookin' good!" Kianna whistled at me.

"Aw, thanks Keanu." I said, which I would sometimes call her. "You two are looking pretty hot yourselves." I sat. A waiter pulled over two high chairs for the boys. "Thank you."

"Remember a while ago when we went out to lunch and we all were talking about our kids and how you had none, and now you have the most?" Colby reminded.

How badly I wanted to tell them that biological number two was on it's way. But I had to wait for Em to get here. "It's so crazy how much can change in a year. Look at my little cuties. Remember how quiet they were when they were born?"

"Holy shit Peter looks like Alex." Colby added. "Like, he looks exactly like all Alex's baby pictures."

"But with your nose." Kianna added.

"Hopefully my eyebrows, too." I laughed.

"And then there's Max. Not a sign of Jen on him. It's all Jack." Colby said.

"Especially that black hair." Kianna ruffled it.

Just then, Emily rushed in and sat in the empty seat. "Gabe has serious separation anxiety. I don't know what to do."

"What do you do when you leave? Do you sneak out or actually say, 'hey, mommy's leaving now'?" I asked.

"I try that but he panics. Then after I'm gone a few minutes, Zack texts me and tells me that Gabe is fine and happy again."

"Don't panic, Jem. If he stops panicking then he's fine." Kianna said.

"So, what's new with everyone?" Emily changed the subject.

"Luke and I are thinking of buying a house in the suburbs. The apartment seems cramped for a family. Soon Delilah will be wanting to run outside. And there are better schools in the suburbs." Colby began.

"That sounds awesome. Are you gonna have a guestroom for us?" I asked.

"I mean, we'll probably have another kid someday. Only children are so lonely." Colby replied. "What about you guys?"

"Zack is a month away from his license. I think he's gonna work in the city. I'm so glad he finally gets to follow his dream. He always loved the band, but exercise is his passion." Emily explained.