Stay Awake (Dreams Only Last For a Night)

Marina's POV:

I was typing up a day sheet. The tour catering made waffles, so I skipped cooking breakfast myself and let the kids go nuts. They were all running around the bus, getting ready. Jack was purposely avoiding me. Rian was sitting across from me with a coffee. We were talking politely about life.

"I mean, with everyone else's kids, it's not like I ever need my own. I'm really glad we decided against the adoption and everything. But sometimes it's all about Cass, all about her music. I'm glad I made this summer about me." He said. "But christ, do I miss seeing her every day."

"Was it weird when we stopped touring and you finally became a normal couple?" I stopped my typing to look deeply into him. I was genuinely interested in Rian's life. I would be so- so- bored without the kids. 

"We've never been a normal couple. The longest we've been together without a night apart is two months. With you and Alex it's been like, eighteen years." He took a sip of the coffee.

"I'll admit, Emily and Zack getting pregnant with Hazel really helped out with all that. If we didn't do that fall tour, who knows if we would have gotten back together. And then these four rascalls wouldn't exist." I nudged Jimmy as he walked by.

"Things have never been like that with Cass and I, though. Like, it's just not how we work. I would get so sick of her if we were together every second. You and Alex just don't function without each other. We've seen you apart, and it is not pretty." 

"I'm pretty scared that might happen again. You guys have been doing awesome this summer. Still Burning Daylight, well, we're just known as the band who married All Time Low." I took a sip of my own drink. "But it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. I don't mind being that band, because we were still on glee when you guys weren't, and we still have your fanbase."

"Oh, Marina, I don't think we'll really get back into touring. Hopeless has been tossing around the idea of a UK tour, but Hazel is going to college and you guys have a lot going on. It's not the best time." He shrugged.

"When will it be better, though? Better now than when Jimmy is the only kid left." I said. 

"MOOOOOM!" I heard a screech. "I can't find the fucking cereal!"

"Fuck, Peter, I'm sitting right here!" I stood. The fucker was looking in the freezer. I opened the cabinet and handed him his favorite, captain crunch. "You know, you could at least try to act sober. And your bunk wreaks."

"Wake and bake?" He shrugged. "Don't really know what else you want me to say."

"I've been sticking up for you all summer, and you've been nothing but high. I can't keep sticking up for you if you're just gonna prove your father right. Please, please just get your act together." I begged.

He looked down at the cereal, then back to me. "Am I letting you down?"

"Peter, no-"

"Nah, man, I don't like this feeling. I don't like you being disappointed in me." He went into his bunk, then came back out, handing me the biggest bag of weed I have ever seen in my entire life. "Give it back when I can get your respect back."

"Oh my god Peter! Put this back before the kids see it! I'm not disappointed in you, although I damn will be if your sister or brother sees this." I pushed it back to him.

"Whoa, Peter, don't give Hot Mama all the pot!" Tucker ran in.

Max jumped from his bunk. "Peter, what are you doing?"

"I don't know!" He got hysterical.

I grabbed the bag and threw it into his bunk, then closed the curtain. "My god, how high are you?"