Dear Maria, Count Me In

Marina's POV:

The next morning Tucker was getting all set to leave. His mom rolled up in the beat up Chevy Nova. I ran out before she could load him up and leave. I looked in the backseat. No booster seat.

"Hey, I'm Marina, are you Tucker's mom?" I asked through the window.

She set her cigarette in the ash tray. When she took off her sunglasses, she looked so young. She must've had Tucker in her late teens. "Janine. Nice to meet ya." She had a new yorker accent. Her lips were overdone in a bright pink, eyeliner thick. Hair ratted.

"Tucker was an absolute pleasure to have." I said, then prepared myself for the next answer. She could lie, tell the truth, or lash out at me for being nosy. "But I noticed he had some bruises. Is it a medical condition? I just wanna make sure, you know, if there's ever an issue when he's staying over."

She took a few big chews of her gum. "You a yankee?"

"Yeah, I come from New Hampsha." I heard my accent come out a little more.

It was a sudden gain of trust, just from my voice. She sighed. "Alright, can I tell you something?"

"Of course." I leaned in a little closer.

"My boyfriend really likes his drinking. He won't kick the habit. And sometimes he gets a little angry, and Tuck stands in the way, and he gets a little bent outta shape. Johnny ain't a bad guy, and he don't get like that often. He's never really hurt Tuck. I just wish I got some place to go when Johnny gets that way."

"I don't mind if you guys come here to get away. We're a mostly dry house." I replied. "I just can't stand the thought of such a little guy being hurt."

"Gimmie ya numbah and I'll keep you in mind." She said.

I did, and we bid our goodbyes. I felt a weight from my shoulders.

___________________________________________________________

A few months later, and I had still been talking to Janine. Tucker was coming over multiple times a week, just to hang out with Peter, but Janine had been encouraging it. I grew to love this kiddo as my sixth baby (fifth being Max). It was March now when I got a phone call. Some random number.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Marina, it's Janine!" A frantic voice said. "Johnny got outta control! The neighbahs heard and they took my baby away! He's at the police station! Please go get him before some sorta child services does!" She was bawling.

"What about Danny?" I alluded to Tuck's 13 year old brother.

"He's at his fatha's. Back in New York. Please, Marina!" She cried even harder.

"I'll be there in moments. Don't let them take him." I hung up before she could even say thanks. I grabbed my car keys.

"Whoa, babe, what was that?" Alex asked me.

"It was an emergency. Janine needs me to go pick up Tucker. I'll be back very soon, and then I'll explain." I kissed him and ran out to my car.

He followed. "Wait, do you want me to go with you?"

"No, no. Just stay here with the kids." I started my car and drove fast.

I parked at the police station and ran in. "I'm here to pick up Tucker Davis." I said.

The woman gave me a look. "Mamn, you can't just run in and take someone's kid-"

"Janine asked if I could take him and I gladly will. If you need to background check me, that's perfectly fine, but I am not letting that child go into child services." I demanded.